1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp networking wizard is sayin that my networking cards are not plugged in?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jemcdona, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jemcdona

jemcdona Thread Starter

I am trying to network 2 computers, for a Friend of mine. but when i try to set up the network via the Win XP networking wizard, it says the the networking cards are not plugged in. I am just running an Ethernet cable from one to another, I was told i didn't need a router (?) one computer is a new dell, with a built in card, and the other is an older dell approx 3 years. with built in card. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. coulterp

coulterp

You were correctly told you do not need a router!

But if there is no router involved then you need to be sure that you are using a cross-over UTP Ethernet cable (and not the more usual straight-through which you would use to connect to a router).

3. jemcdona

jemcdona Thread Starter

thanks for the info, now i have a new issue. Got the new cable, so now both computers acknowledged both connections, However, the computer that i have XP on started acting funny, it wouldn't allow me to access my start menu and had the little hour glass any time you moused over the start menu and task bar at the bottom of the screen. also the share folder and the Internet connection wouldn work on either computer. i had to system restore back to before i ran the network wizard. ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

4. dai

dai

run the network wizard again and recheck your internet connection setup

5. coulterp

coulterp

Strange ... can't see why adding a new cable would do that!
    Still re-running the network wizard as already advised by other poster seems the right approach.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/174798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice