1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP networking

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dart200, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dart200

dart200 Thread Starter

im having problems with my windows network.i have three computers on this network connected by ethernet through a router. two of them work just fine, but one is acting weird. It can connect to the internet jsut fine (i am typing on this comp right now), but it can't connect to the other computers. Whenever i try to go though windows explorer (or total commander) it just freezes for a while and the gives me the error that the network is not accessable (same thing happens when i try to view this computer from one of the two working computers). Whan make's it funnier is that this comp CAN see the network drives of ONE of the working computers, but not the other. Also, i have already tried reinstalling windows several times.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have any 3rd party firewalls, are they properly configured for your LAN access?

How about some basics. Referring to your computers with unique names like A, B and C please tell us what works and what doesn't with the following tests. The tests are written for 2 computers but I think you can easily figure out how to expand for 3 computers.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

3. darbyneil

darbyneil

having identical problems as terrynet posted. Did all Dart200 recomendes but not getting an answer from the other two computers or from the new e-machines to those either.

Gateway, proud new tech support for e-machines says," sorry, not our problem, good luck." One of the salesmen for Tiger direct suggested it has something to do with the version of windows xp media on this new machine. Hlep!

4. Carey934

Carey934

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did the 3rd pc ever see the others? If you right click My Computer and choose Properties, choose Computer Name, is the "workgroup" the same on all 3?

6. dart200

dart200 Thread Starter

alright, i'll try explaining this better. I have three comps: Cheetah, Cougar, and Jaguar. Cheetah and Cougar see and browse each other just fine. But, although they can see Jaguar (as well as ping it), neither can browse Jaguar, or any drives that Jaguar shares. Jaguar can ping (and see I suppose) both Cheetah and Cougar, BUT when in explorer, Jaguar can't even explore our workgroup (yes all the comps are in the same workgroup). What really gets me is that Jaguar can see (as well as explore) the network drives that Cougar (but not Cheetah) has.

For the tests that Terry posted:
    No i don't have any firewalls installed (except for the router one), and the windows one is off.
    1. Yes all computers can ping each other using IP.
    2. Jaguar can ping all computer using name, and Cheetah and Cougar can other ping each other, but when they try to ping Jaguar, both get the error that Jaguar isn't available.
    3. this works for all the comp when i use the IP, but again when Cheetah and Cougar try to use \\Jaguar it doesn't work.

It seems the be a name problem ... is there anyway i can fix this ... though this isn't a big problem, it'd be nice if i could just go through windows explorer (w/o going through start/run)

7. dart200

dart200 Thread Starter

nvm about fixing it, i realized i can add "network places" just using the IP. thanks a whole lot, though now when i think about it, i'm hitting myself in the head for not seeing it.

8. Carey934

Carey934

9. dart200

dart200 Thread Starter

hmm ... well i guess it'd be nice if i could just use the computer name.

i tried that, but i still get the same error. neither cheetah nor cougar can ping "jaguar"

10. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
  11. darbyneil

darbyneil

Solved the issue with CA (computer associates) internet security tech support. Check out http://crm.my-etrust.com/login.asp?username=guest&target=DOCUMENT&openparameter=2639 if using this security package. We had to write in specific exceptions in the firewall for each computer on the lan. Same should work for other packages. Had several problems with this software on my systems after installing. Seems to be working fine now but cost me two days of productivity. Never again. THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS SITE FOR YOUR TIME AND GENEROSITY!! I will not forget.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    dart200, please check that these services are running on all machines (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

Computer Browser
    Network Location Awareness
    Server
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Workstation

13. Carey934

Carey934

This problem is solved. He had his subnet set to 255.0.0.0 on the PC that had issues, instead of 255.255.255.0

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Wow simple enough if you look at it. Glad it's fixed and thanks for comeback.

15. Carey934

Carey934

Yeah, I actually never tried that before, so it was interesting to see that he could ping by IP, but NetBIOS was rendered useless. I added it to my trouble-shooting list, so it was a win-win. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice