1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP no longer boots

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by plejon, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

My PC no longer boots from one particular harddrive.

I have XP installed on a 40 GB harddrive. Since a couple of days, I can't boot from the harddrive anymore. When I start the PC, it goes through the bios normally, detecting the HD correctly. After going through the BIOS, when normally the OS starts to load, the screen just goes blank. No "insert system disk" or "ntloader" messages, just a blank screen.

I installed an old 2GB harddrive in the PC, installed XP on it, works like a charm. I connected the 40GB as second harddrive, booting from the 2GB drive. In that setup, I can access the 40 GB drive without problems. I see and manipulate all data on the 40GB disk. I ran error-checking on the 40GB disk, no errors reported.

How could I make the 40GB drive bootable again ?

2. dai

dai

try
    fixboot
    fixmbr

3. plejon

plejon Thread Starter

No luck with fixboot and fixmbr.

I tried a manual copy of ntldr and ntdetect.com on the 40GB disk, no luck either.

I'm running out of options. If nobody has an idea, I'll try to reformat the disk.

4. mobo

mobo

Reboot with the xp cdrom and select install and one thing to keep in mind here is to not select clean install.When first prompted to enter (r) for the repair console do not but select install again whichshould bring you to an emergency repair screen. Thats the way to go if you want to save your programs and files.You may have to reinstall windows updates though but at least you will have a system with all your programs on it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice