1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP no mouse or keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ertech, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ertech

ertech Thread Starter

I re posted here because i was getting no response in the hardware forum

I have recently installed anti-virus on my other computer. I turned it off last night and this morning I turned it on to find the mouse and KB don't work. I noticed the optical light is on until the windows loading screen shows up and then it immediately shuts off. I have looked in the bios everything is enabled, I tried to boot into safe mode and that doesn't work either, as soon as windows starts loading the mouse shuts off.

I tried repairing windows and when it reboots to re-install, the mouse light goes off again. Later, an error pops up looking for a file iaStor.sys, which i cannot locate because my mouse does not work.

A few things i did the same day:
    1. Install avast anti virus, ran it on startup which found a couple obfus viruses that were deleted.
    2. Installed advanced windows care V.
    3. Used a USB device to copy these files on and off the computer

I installed both of these programs on the laptop I am using now with no problems.

The computer is a dell XPS 410, they will not support it because its a couple months out of warranty. I have seen this problem on my old dell and I reseted the CMOS to fix it. This did not work on this new problem. The forums of dell are no help either. I have seen many other forums on this issue but no answers that i could find.

2. XxVectorxX

XxVectorxX

Hello ertech,

A "solution" to this problem was found here, hopefully it will work for you:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=90770

Also iaStor.sys is the driver for onboard Intel SATA support. It allows hard drives and other peripherals, attached to an Intel motherboard via the SATA controller, to work.

So, considering this is SATA problem, I may be missing something but you can try using a USB connected mouse in the mean time as that should still have functionality.

Good luck ;)

-Matt

3. ertech

ertech Thread Starter

Ya, I actually read that forum last night among others, I am at the conclusion that there is no fix considering my mouse and keyboard and usb ports are useless as soon as i enter windows. I also tried to repair, ending up with no results. So my solution, Install second copy of windows and try to salvage the other one threw this one.

4. XxVectorxX

XxVectorxX

Well that's quite the predicament... :confused:

Normally I'd say check device manager/drivers/get a new mouse/ etc... but considering that you cannot fix the problem with no way of interaction and the problem spans not just 1 but 3 peripherals, your solution is quite possiby the only way to go :p.

Good luck hope it works out :)

-Matt

5. raybro

raybro

Please take this suggestion in the spirit in which it is offered. Your predicament is precisly the reason I use Acronis True Image (TI) to create backup images to and external HD for my laptop and the Slave HD in my desktop. Given your specific problem, if you had TI installed, you could simply boot into Acronis and restore your Primary Master HD to the last recorded backup and be back in business in less that 10 minutes. You can get Acronis from many different sites. Just Google Acronis True Image and look for the best price. I use v.10 with great satisfaction. I strongly recommend it for use in the future .

Raybro

6. ertech

ertech Thread Starter

So when you use this software, can I partition my HD and boot off of that? How much space do I need you think to do this?

7. raybro

raybro

Getting Acronis TI now will not help you with your current predicament in any way I'm aware of. I proposed it as a way to prevent such problems in the future.

But to answer you question... One can boot into Acronis TI in a number of different ways. You can create a bootable CD/DVD, You can create a boot partitioon on a second HDD, either internal or external. I boot into Acronis TI on my laptop with a HDD in a USB connected external enclosure. On my old Win98SE Desktop system I boot from a SCSI connected Iomega JAZ drive. It's a very versitile program.

I do not know of a way to boot into Acronis TI from your Primary Master HDD which contains your OS. In fact, I pretty sure you cannot even store the backup images created with Acronis TI on the same drive you are making an imige of.

Raybro

8. ertech

ertech Thread Starter

Ya, I gave up on the other install and started a new one. I got the software you mentioned and it made a partition on my primary drive and said that I can press f11 before windows even boots to get into the recovery. Hopefully I'm understanding this right. Thanks for the tip, I plan on installing this software on all my company computers.

On another not I lost all my files on my other install, I cannot finish the repair and am wondering if i can stop the repair and return windows to that crap state it was so I can access my files from documents and settings. I am assuming I cant access these (access denied) because that Windows is being repaired. I need to recover my emails from this folder and cannot.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/682470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice