1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp No sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lstriplett, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lstriplett

lstriplett Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Dell 2350, 2,5 GHz One gig of Ram. The sound card is built in. I changed the Mother Board and haven't had
    any sound since. Is it turned off on the board? I have the old board and it seems to be set the same as the new one.
    It works fine but no sound.

Thank you,
    lstriplett

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Try Control Panel->Sounds and Audio->Audio (tab). Check to make sure your output device (speakers) is selected.

Then go to Device Manager and check in the Sound, video, and game controllers header to make sure there aren't any devices with a yellow exclamation point.

Perhaps your sound card simply is not enabled or perhaps the power cable on your sound card is loose....

3. lstriplett

Every thing looks good in the control panel. Don't see where it is turned off. Checked the Device manager and no yellow marks.
    Checked in the Sounds and game controller. Tried to update the driver but it said I had the best one for my system.

It's a built in sound card so I don't know how to turn it off or on.

Thanks for the help.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

To turn off your sound you would right click on the sound device in Device Manager in "Sounds, video, and game controllers" and then select disable. If it were disabled, you would have seen a yellow exclamation there.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe your sound card on the motherboard wasn't connected to the input/output jacks when you installed the new motherboard. If you open the case and look along the back of the machine, check to see if there is a loose wire there that looks like it might connect to your input/output jacks...

5. huggie54

huggie54

you say you have checked it is enabled in BIOS

6. lstriplett

I looked in the BIOS but couldn't find anything about the sound.

Thanks

7. lstriplett

Ok will check inside the case. Was in there yesterday and there are two jumpers but I don't know what they do. I looked at the old mother board and these jumpers are the
    same as the old ones. I will look again for lose wires.

Thanks for you time.

8. lstriplett

I have checked the BIOS again and found the audio. It is enabled so for some reason it won't work. I think I will just put in a
    sound card.

Thanks

9. lstriplett

Yes, it is enabled in the bios I guess I'll try to put a sound card in it.

Thanks for the help.

10. lstriplett

I have installed a sound card and it works just fine. It was enabled in the BIOS so don't know why it wouldn't work.
    Thanks for all the help.

11. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

Just wondering if you had a sound driver installed, you said new MOBO...?

12. lstriplett

Yes I went to Device Manager and checked for updating drivers for every on under sound.

I've solved the problem by installing a sound card/pci.

Thanks

13. lstriplett

Yes I went to Device Manager and checked for updating drivers for every one under sound.

I've solved the problem by installing a sound card/pci.

Thanks

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!