1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP not booting, my fault

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tennis4you, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tennis4you

tennis4you Thread Starter

I was trying to eliminate a virus from my pc. I downloaded an .exe file that needed run while windows is in safemode. I rebooted my pc and hit F8 and chose SafeMode, but safe mode said it will not reboot due to a threat, probably the virus and tells me to reboot, I cannot get past the blue screen.. Sigh. Here is where I got stupid.

I went to the System Configuration Utility function. I went to: BOOT.ini tab and then checked /SAFEBOOT. Well, now my windows only wants to boot in Safemode but safemode will not boot. I am once again stuck on the blue screen, but this time I do not know of any options to get around it.

I tried hitting F8 and telling it to start windows normally, but it goes right to SafeMode and that gets me no where since SafeMode doesn't like me today.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Have you got the Full Operating System on CD?

3. tennis4you

It came with dell, I do not recall. I am sure I do somewhere. I will go see if I can hunt it down. If I do not have the CD do I have any other options?

4. tennis4you

Searched my kept pc stuff, I do not see the disk anywhere.... Not good I assume.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

You can request the Install disc from Dell using the info here

They are pretty good about shipping it right out

6. tennis4you

You cannot download that somewhere and burn it as an ISO I assume. Too easy?

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

too easy . . .

If you know someone with a Dell and has the same version as your XP ( Home, Pro or MCE ) you can borrow theirs

8. tennis4you

Yikes. So with no other options I eliminate my ability to work from home because SafeMode is a peice of crap. Excellent.

I wonder if it is cheaper business wise to go get a new pc and not lose the hours of work. I cannot believe there is no other way around this. Wild...

I called Dell and their automated system is so bad I cannot get through the steps. I will try for a 3rd time.

Thanks for the help.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Have you tried booting to the last known good configuration while booting?

You may be able to take the drive out, temporarily attach it to a working pc and salvage the data . . works best if you attach it to the secondary channel ( the one with the CD/DVD drives) once you have the data safely backed up, run a virus scan on the drive while it is in the second pc

10. tennis4you

I did try booting to the last good boot record or whatever you call it. My IT guy at work said he needs to get his hands on it, I will just drive by his house and throw it out the window on the way by. If it happens to survive the toss out the window he can work on it and salvage it. Maybe even get the 2 damn virus' off of it that prompted me to look into all of this.

Luckily there is no data is that ultimatley crictal on the pc, I load all of my work to a remote server when I am done with it.

11. bonk

bonk Banned

As you can see it can happen anytime so backup regularly or get a program that will do it for you.

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

tennis4you...

Does the pc have a floppy drive?

And does it have XP OS on it?

If so you can go to another XP pc, and format a floppy disk (<<this part is important, it has to be formatted from XP and not a quick format it has to be a full format)...

Copy these files over to the formatted floppy from the XP pc...

Boot.ini
    Ntdetect.com
    ntldr

And boot the pc with the floppy disk, it should then bypass the Boot.ini on the hard drive and use the one on the floppy...

13. tennis4you

Interesting, I will give that a shot. Thanks!!!

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you don't have the disk, how old is this Dell, as it might have a restore partition you could use, I believe you tap F11 after hitting power button, but I also believe it is a destructive restore meaning it will replace what is there.

15. tennis4you

The Dell is about 18 months old. If I can avoid the destructive restore I will. I do not have any floppy drives, I thought I did. I came up empty at home...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!