Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP not booting..NO MATTER WHAT I do! Help!!

734 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  joseang 
#1 ·
A friend of my mother's asked me to look at her computer as she was having issues with it. Well, I got everything back up and working and then did updates to Windows (SP2, etc).

In the midst of installing some of these updates (after SP2), my child yanked the power cord out of the wall and down I went. When I went to reboot, I was given the option of Safe Mode, etc, but selected to boot normally. The XP logo came up and was fine, but then it went to a black screen and STAYED there. No white cursor..nothing. UGH. So I went to boot again. When given the same option, I tried safe mode. Well, I didn't get a black screen, but I got a string of DOS lines one after the other just sitting on the screen. I mean...line after line filled the screen.

The REALLY horrible part about this is there is no XP disc for this. I asked my mother's friend about this and she claims that when she bought the computer from Wal-Mart (HP), it didn't come with any CDs. I find that hard to believe, but whatever. SOOO..now I have no idea what to do. I mean, I do have my own Dell EOM CD for XP, but I can't use that to try and fix this, can I? It is just like NOTHING I do is working!

The computer is free of an virus activity, spyware, etc...I took all of that out.

Help!!

See less See more
#2 ·
carrie640 said:
A friend of my mother's asked me to look at her computer as she was having issues with it. Well, I got everything back up and working and then did updates to Windows (SP2, etc).

In the midst of installing some of these updates (after SP2), my child yanked the power cord out of the wall and down I went. When I went to reboot, I was given the option of Safe Mode, etc, but selected to boot normally. The XP logo came up and was fine, but then it went to a black screen and STAYED there. No white cursor..nothing. UGH. So I went to boot again. When given the same option, I tried safe mode. Well, I didn't get a black screen, but I got a string of DOS lines one after the other just sitting on the screen. I mean...line after line filled the screen.

The REALLY horrible part about this is there is no XP disc for this. I asked my mother's friend about this and she claims that when she bought the computer from Wal-Mart (HP), it didn't come with any CDs. I find that hard to believe, but whatever. SOOO..now I have no idea what to do. I mean, I do have my own Dell EOM CD for XP, but I can't use that to try and fix this, can I? It is just like NOTHING I do is working!

The computer is free of an virus activity, spyware, etc...I took all of that out.

Help!!
Dear Carrie:

Sorry to tell you, but it seems like you must find a fresh new XP cd in order to reinstall it, as well as your previously installed software (provided you had backed up things before the disaster).

If you at least were able to start XP and some other kind of errors were jumping out, maybe something could be done. But don't guide by my opinion only. Here at the forums are some pretty cool geniuses which could help you better than me.

Sorry for not being of much more help
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.