1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP not booting up, happens sporadically.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Diego Wolfwood, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diego Wolfwood

Diego Wolfwood Thread Starter

I don't remember the exact date, but approximately one month ago XP would not boot up. The computer turned on fine and the XP loading screen appeared, but it would just go black. I remember on the 3rd or 4th try of manually resetting the computer it booted successfully, and I didn't pay it any mind at the time.

This morning it happened again though, same thing. Black screen, reset the computer and after the XP loading screen went black again. I reset again and it was fine.

Is there anything I need to be worried about? I'm afraid something might be gradually dieing inside my computer somewhere.

2. Megabite

Megabite

How old is the HDD?

How old is the PC powersupply?

3. Diego Wolfwood

The whole computer is going on 2 years old, so not that old yet. I purchased all the parts new in May 2008, if I remember correctly.

4. Diego Wolfwood

Gonna give this a bump.

5. raybro

raybro

Possible your hard drive is failing. I suggest you run chkdsk. See here on how to do that.

Raybro

6. Diego Wolfwood

Thanks for the tip, but I ran it and it found no problems.

7. Megabite

Megabite

Try seeing if there is a update driver for your video card.....but at least uninstall it from Device Manager and restart the PC

8. Diego Wolfwood

As a matter of fact I very recently updated my video card driver, which fixed another problem I was having a couple weeks ago.

9. raybro

raybro

Having run chkdsk with no problems detected provides pretty good assurance the drive is OK. However, I still kind of focused on the HDD. It would do no harm to run a couple of free hard drive utilities. HDTach and HDTune will run some pretty good tests and benchmarks.

Raybro

10. Diego Wolfwood

I'll check those out and run them when I have some time. Thanks much for the recommendations!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice