XP not booting up, happens sporadically.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Diego Wolfwood

I don't remember the exact date, but approximately one month ago XP would not boot up. The computer turned on fine and the XP loading screen appeared, but it would just go black. I remember on the 3rd or 4th try of manually resetting the computer it booted successfully, and I didn't pay it any mind at the time.

This morning it happened again though, same thing. Black screen, reset the computer and after the XP loading screen went black again. I reset again and it was fine.

Is there anything I need to be worried about? I'm afraid something might be gradually dieing inside my computer somewhere.

Diego Wolfwood

The whole computer is going on 2 years old, so not that old yet. I purchased all the parts new in May 2008, if I remember correctly.

Possible your hard drive is failing. I suggest you run chkdsk. See here on how to do that.

Raybro

Try seeing if there is a update driver for your video card.....but at least uninstall it from Device Manager and restart the PC

Diego Wolfwood

As a matter of fact I very recently updated my video card driver, which fixed another problem I was having a couple weeks ago.

Having run chkdsk with no problems detected provides pretty good assurance the drive is OK. However, I still kind of focused on the HDD. It would do no harm to run a couple of free hard drive utilities. HDTach and HDTune will run some pretty good tests and benchmarks.

Raybro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online