1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP not booting up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frijoles44, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frijoles44

frijoles44 Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP Professional, and after installing new RAM recently I encountered a problem. I found out it was because I had the wrong memory module for my motherboard. Now I have the correct memory module installed, but XP won't boot. I get through the BIOS screen, and then I get a screen that asks if I want to load the OS in Safe Mode, Last Known Good Settings, or Load Windows Normally. None of the options work - any one I choose gives me a blank screen with a white bar on the bottom, or sometimes just a blank screen. I disconnected all peripherals and left just the monitor and keyboard attached. I've heard that I can try to reboot the OS from a CD, but I don't want to do that unless I have to. I also don't want to mess with the BIOS too much as that seems to be OK. What should I do next?
    Thanks for your help!

2. active95

active95

Couple of suggestions.
    If you happen to made a Automatic System Recovery disk , go ahead and use it to fix Windows .
    Might try and boot up with the windows XP boot disks and choose " repair" ( if it will show up).
    Reinstall Windows into a different directory ( that way you'll be able to save the data that is important to you. you might be able to reinstall windows on top of the old widows though.) then reformat and install from scratch.
    Might want to pull the drive out and install it as a second hdd onto a pc that runs XP and do a chkdsk ( scandisk ) see if that fixes.

3. dai

dai

only post in one thread

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice