1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP not deleting user accounts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mykidsdaddy, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mykidsdaddy

mykidsdaddy Thread Starter

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!

I am only an hour away from needing to have this computer under the tree! I thought it would be a piece of cake...NOT!!!
    I am giving my son a homebuilt XP machine that I built and we have been using. I thought it would be nice to take all of our user names and files off it and leave it blank (except for mine). Anyway...when I am going through the motions of deleting an account...it accepts the keyboard input...asks whether I want to keep or delete that users files..........and then it sits there! When I finally lose patience...I "X" it out and Windows is giving me the Un-Responsive Program box. It happened to me on a computer I worked on a few weeks ago and I ended up doing a clean install.

Well...I didn't have as much time as I thought! My boy just walked through the front door! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:
    I will explain it away but I still need to know what XP is doing here so I can fix it!

Thanks to all!;)

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

More patience is required, I'm afraid - I've known that process hang for an hour but it does compete in the end. Perhaps Safe Mode as Administrator can do it more quickly.

EDIT - Use Task Manager>Applications to end that attempt if it remains unresponsive.

3. mykidsdaddy

mykidsdaddy Thread Starter

So...I can just click to delete and wait it out??? Hmmm! Does anyone know where I can download some patience??? I musta caught a virus and had patience wiped from my software...I just keep getting "Unable to Locate" ;)

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Well if it's still running after three days, it's time to power off and on and deal with those files in the normal way - Documents and Settings>{username} and start deleting in bite size pieces. You'll need to open up th esystem to show all the files, even the hidden ones.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice