XP not finding programs from 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

glennhodge

Installed XP, now have the option to startup with XP or 2000, but since I can't get to my programs through XP, I'm still stuck with starting up in 2000. Both OS are on the same hard drive, but I can't figure this problem out. Suggestions????

Most likely you clean installed windows XP on the same partition as windows 2000. That is why you don't have any programs installed on Xp.

Take a look at your C: drive and see if you have a Winnt and Windows folder. Most likely you do.

Here are your options:

Option1 - best option
1) back up the data on windows 2000
2) reformat the drive to clean install XP
3) Reinstall all the application from installation CD

Option 2
a) Transfer the data from window 2000 to Xp and install all the application in XP

b) If you don't have the software to reinstall the applications, then you could delete the windows xp installation folder (Windows)

NOTE: Installing windows XP on the same partition is not a good idea, you may incur into issue on the long run.

do #1 of what pc wiz said, but ur probly outta luck if u dont have the install files. when id try upgrading, im pretty sure the program files are all there but not the registry entries. so any program that needs them (ie serial number, preference, file location reasons) wont work. if ur tired of picking the os when u start until u come to a solution, in xp, right click my computer>advanced>startup and recovery. choose w2k as the default os and put 0 seconds to choose.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online