1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Not Loading up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by A.C.E., Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. A.C.E.

A.C.E. Thread Starter

Hey Guys,
    I really need help with this one. I have windows XP home SP2 on my computer, and for some reason now the Desktop will not load up. I can boot up in safemode see everything ecluding my login for windows xp but after that everything is blank, and you can see like the kaspersky antivirus alert come up say not able to update with a prompt because no network access. The only thing you can do is CTL+ALT+DEL and see the task manager, but not able to open other applications. When I do hit CTL+ALT+DEL I see the file SQLServr.exe taking up 97% of the process and cannot be terminated. Even in safe mode. I tried to do a repair and it did not work. I do not want to lose my info and reformat. Can anybody help me on getting back my desktop and functionality of my pc? :confused:

2. tosh9i

tosh9i

The next time you startup your computer and see your wallpaper without the icons, go to task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete)> File (new task)> and type in services.msc

After the Services windows starts, sort it by Status. Are there any of them that say, "Starting" or "Stopped".

I had the same problem, starting up windows and seeing wallpaper without any icons. It turns out that the "Server" Service was always hanging and stalling the computer. Even though it was on Automatic, it said "Starting", then I tried Manual, and it still said "Stating." So then I disabled it in Safe Mode, and now it works fine.

Boot up in Safe Mode > Hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE to access Task Manager > File (new task) > and type in services.msc > Right click on Server > Properties > Where it says Startup Type, select Disabled.

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi Boot from Cd...when prompted press [R]
    Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
    When prompted for password.
    Press Return. [Enter]
    Type chkdsk /r [note space ]
    Window will fix errors..
    Type Exit
    And press Return.

4. A.C.E.

A.C.E. Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for the reply back. For the services command in new task that will not even open. I actually cannot see the wallpaper either. Its just blue in normal mode or black in safemode. When I do the command just blank screen so the application just doesn't open up and task manager is still there.

As for the Check disk repair. That has already been done too and still same issues.

Any other ideas??????

5. dez_666

dez_666

In task manager is there any process called explorer.exe? if there isnt, go to new task, then type "explorer" and see if you get icons and a task bar. (y)

oh and if there is already an explorer process, kill it and start it again by making a new task like i said above

6. A.C.E.

A.C.E. Thread Starter

there was no explorer task so i typed it in as a new task, but still nothing. anybody else help on this???? :confused:

7. blues_harp28

Hi try a repair install.
    Insert the XP cd in the CD ROM Drive then switch on the computer.

You will receive the following message:

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

DO NOT at this point select R.... DO NOT SELECT R

Select ENTER

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen
    Press F8 to agree to the license agreement

Select current installation of Windows XP.and then
    Press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to repair Windows.
    After you repair Windows , you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

8. Saniman

Saniman

I have to ask ... I assume you are referring to the recovery disks? I have disk 1 & 2.
    I also have two disks for the SP2. Which one am I to use?

9. blues_harp28

Hi the original Xp install Cd.

The recovery discs provided by most PC manufacturers are designed to restore your computer to the state it was in when you bought it.
    Typically this involves wiping your hard drive clean.

What problem are you having?

And to be fair to A.C.E you should have started your own thread.

10. Saniman

Saniman

My apologies, Being a newbie is my only excuse. I mistakenly (but honestly) thought you were in fact responding to my thread. I entered a new one this evening entitled ..." Windows is taking a lifetime to load". If you have a moment, please look for it and send a response.

Once again, sorry for butting in.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice