1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP not performing well on new Dell laptops?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KeyStroke, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KeyStroke

KeyStroke Thread Starter

I couldn't buy a laptop for a while now since all manufacturer seem to force Vista, and don't offer any XP drivers on their website for their new models.

However, the new Dell inspiron models seem to fully support XP, as they're offering all XP drivers on their site. But I'm still skeptical about it as a few salespeople from Dell told me that XP, if installed, won't perform as good as it's supposed to, because the hardware was designed with Vista in mind.

Do you think it's true?

Your help is much appreciated :)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Only to some degree. Hotstart isn't supported in XP, for example. But if there are drivers, I wouldn't expect any problems that would make the whole idea inadvisable.

3. KeyStroke

KeyStroke Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil. Hotstart isn't that important for me.

I asked another salesperson today, and he whispered "look, I'm not allowed to tell you this, but XP does work with this machine.". What the hell?

Oh well, I think i'll get it eventually. Thanks Elvandil. :)

4. brite750

brite750

i dont beleive this hw wont work with XP jazz, there is still hw that is backwards compatible to win98/95, Win2000 etc., why would any self respecting hw maker not have drivers for XP that is just rediculous. This is the kind of crap you get into with branded computers.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Hardware needs drivers to communicate with the operating system, so obviously some hardware may not work with some operating systems. This is not exclusive to "branded" systems. If you buy a motherboard or sound card or any other component, the manufacturer can decide to not make drivers available for certain hardware.

I assure you that there's tons of new hardware out there that doesn't work with Windows 95.

Do you have a particular manufacturer in mind that still supports a 12 year-old OS by providing drivers for new hardware?

6. brite750

brite750

I ve got bits and pieces all over the house that would still fire up with W9x, my point is you dont turn out new computers that can only run on an OS that is a year old in an effert to force people to use it.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your posts are a bit confusing seeming to indicate that there's new components available that run old OSs. Obviously your old bits and pieces work with them. However, what you have in the house doesn't help someone buying a new computer.

I don't get the last half of your post. It's simply part of the industry to not support old operating systems that the company which created them (Microsoft) no longer provides any support. That's just the way it is. It's not an evil conspiracy. It's technological progress.

8. brite750

brite750

never said "new" i said there is still some, my point is as stated in the last post, you dont put out new stuff that takes only Vista a brand new and undebugged operating system. when they released XP, new HW would still run on 9X or NT or W2K, this time it is as if Bill is trying to force everyone to buy Vista or screw off, not a great move for all the millions of customers that have previous OS. this isnt Civ Deb so i wont take up anymore of anyones time.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/657907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice