1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Not Reading my larger drive size

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mquint, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mquint

mquint Thread Starter

Need help !!

I got a 650 MHz PC with a CB641X-Bx Daewoo motherboard.
    I'm running win/xp/pro on it and I recently installed a 160 Gig drive in the case, but when I run the provided drive software it only showed a 130 gig not the 160 (so I'm missing 30 Gig). I thought that since I had XP I would be able to use the whole size.

A friend of my told me that maybe a bios upgrade in needed.
    My question is:
    1. Is downloading and installing a bios very risky?
    2. What do I need to do so that I can use the full drive size?
    3. Can I use the full drive size as one Partition or is it better to break it up into smaller sizes?

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

it's much better to break up your drive- some people would break up a 160 gig into many parts- you can even have different operating systems on each partition, but i've never tried that. i have my 40 gig divided into two parts- the first part is 16 gig- that's where i have win2k installed (NTFS), and the second is 24, and it has a fat32 file system.
    here's a good site for reference-
    fdisk.radified.com

3. mquint

mquint Thread Starter

Hey Kerri Ann.

thanks for the reply.

Why wouldn't putting differnet os on the drive work?

I thought that if the partitions were divided they would separately?

Thanks

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

now that i look back at fdiskradified, it discusses your problem in length. larger hard drives, it seems, often have trouble.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

130gb is another of those barriers on disk size.

6. PROJECT

PROJECT

Windows xp is limited to 137 gig hard drive unless you have SP1 installed. So make sure you have Windows XP Pro with SP1, if not go to windows update and get it.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The problem is your BIOS, the changeover to recognize disks larger than 137gigs came a couple of years ago. Many older systems have no BIOS updates available to allow recognition of these large disks. FWIW, that's why both Maxtor and WD ship the Promise controller with any of their disks larger than 120gigs in the retail packages.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice