1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP not recognizing 300gb SATA HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alonso805, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alonso805

alonso805 Thread Starter

Gentlemen,

First of all I want to say it's a real pleasure to be around so may nerd's & geek's like myself. I hope one of you XP Pro's can help me out with a problem I have. I while ago I built my 1st computer, as you all know most fist time builder tend to buy all top of the line s***t Like myself:D . I guess that was my first mistake anyways I bought a Seagate 300Gb SATA HD.I went to install it , no problem there piece of cake so I boot the computer load windows xp pro I was ready to load a bunch of games and music when I went to go look under "My Computer" I saw that the computer only recognized 160gb almost half of what I put into it. Till this day I have not been able to see the rest of the HD thats why I'm here maybe someone out there can explain why I'm getting robed for 140gb?:confused:

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG............

Sounds like the Bios on your motherboard is not up to snuff and it does not want to recognize the Hard drive or the drivers for the hard drive were not installed. I would check with the manufacturer of the hard drive and see if I could determine the correct version of Bios for the Bios manufacturer and go from there.

3. robomatic

robomatic

If your XP is an older version it can't address more than 160 GB, you have to have Service Pack One installed. If this is your problem I'd recommend going back and reformatting your HD's. I had this problem once and totally screwed up a 250 GB drive.

4. robomatic

robomatic

If you are in a position to partition your drive into sections smaller than 160 GB this should work also, given that your problem is with an older XP version pre Service Pack One.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/500597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice