1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP not recognizing new Disc Drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jhayes, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhayes

jhayes Thread Starter

I've installed two new disc drives, both Sony DRU 820A into my tower. XP doesn't recognize them. Any suggestions? Thanks much. -John

2. Sonny1st

Sonny1st

How did you set the jumpers? Is one master and one slave or both set to cable select?

3. jhayes

jhayes Thread Starter

They are set to master/slave. The same as the drives I took out.

4. Sonny1st

Sonny1st

Did you go to Device Manager and check to see if they are listed there? Or are you just not seeing them in 'My Computer'?

5. jhayes

jhayes Thread Starter

They aren't listed in Device manager. I've also tried a scan for new hardware w/no luck.

6. Sonny1st

Sonny1st

Do you know how to boot into BIOS and see if they are recognized and enabled there?

7. jhayes

jhayes Thread Starter

I know it involves restarting the computer and repeatedly pushing one of the keys (ESC, F1 or f8)

8. Sonny1st

Sonny1st

Yes the key is different for different brand computers.. when you boot up you should see it listed.. Try doing that.. When in BIOS you will only be using the keyboard and a few select keys such as the arrow keys.. there will be instructions as to how to navigate.. Do NOT change anything ... just look for hardware devices and see if you see the drives listed, and if they are enabled. If they are then use the ESC key to exit Bios and it will boot back to windows.. Shut down and disconnect the drive you have as slave.. make sure the connections are secure and the one at the end is connected to the master drive.. Restart and see if it recognizes just the one drive.

9. jhayes

jhayes Thread Starter

I cn't get the BIOS to come up, it just goes to my Windows.

10. Sonny1st

Sonny1st

what kind/brand computer are we talking about?

11. jhayes

jhayes Thread Starter

It's a Compaq. Restarting it w/Just the one plugged in works (It's recognized). However, when I add the second, it's back to nothing.

12. jhayes

jhayes Thread Starter

What are your thoughts on plugging the second one in seperately, no master /slave, just two units?

13. Sonny1st

Sonny1st

Try setting both jumpers to 'cable select'.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!