xp not seeing added memory?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robertwjr

I have an ASUS p4p800 mobo, and had 2- 512 mb dual channel mem chips installed and my computer was fine. Today I replaced that mem. with new mem chips, they are pc3200 1 gig chip ddr400 and I bought 2 of them. The mobo manufactor book says this mem is ok to use with this mobo. The bios, windowsxp, and Norton all recognize the mem. as 2 gig of mem. But the system is unstable as h&**. somtimes booting to windows and rebooting me after going into an app. or will not boot windows at all... If I take one chip out and only use 1 gig stick the windows is fine and apps seems to be ok also.

My ?'s are do I have to reinstall windows xp in order to get it to see the extra mem. since xp was installed with the original 1 gig and now is only stable with 1 gig?

Is it a windowsxp pro problem?

I have checked both sticks with memtest86 seperatly they are fine when tested together i seem to get errors, Both sticks were bought at the same time and are the same make. I guess I'm not sure where I'm going with this post except that my mem. don't work anymore. Only with the original 2-512 dual channel sticks or with 1-1 gig stick, any more mem than that doesn't work!!!!!!!!!

Please help
robertwjr

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online