1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP not shutting down

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cjbtaylor, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

HI, ive done all the checks as to why my computer gets to the WINDOWS SHUTTING DOWN screen and then freezes resulting in me turning it off. Only thing it says to do next is to stop Norton checking the floppy drive on shutdown, can anyone tell me how to do this.

Many thanks

Colin:(

2. Dan O

Dan O

I am not sure about Norton but the problem may be that you have not enabled Advanced Power Management. Select Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Power Options, APM tab, and make sure Enable Advanced Power Management System is checked.

3. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

I have done this and their is no option for it. By the way im running XP PRO.

Thanks anyway

4. Dan O

Dan O

I am running XP Pro on several Desktop PCs and I had to enable it manually as I explained. It worked automatically only on one laptop I have.

As for your PC, is it on the Microsoft compatiblity list for XP? You may need to upgrade your BIOS to have XP recoginize your APM to have it power off your PC.

5. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor Thread Starter

I have sort of solved my problem, ive just started using Hibernation instead, it turns of in about 15secs and now turns on in 27secs ready to use, I will be using this in future. Excellent as I used to go make a cup of tea waiting before.

Cheers for your help.

Colin

6. Dan O

Dan O

Good thinking on your part and as they say if it works use it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!