XP/NT Network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BERNDOG

We have a small office with 20 workstations running XP Pro. The network includes two NT 4 servers and one Novell 3.12 server. The NT servers are using Workgroup as opposed to an NT domain. We no longer need the Novell server and I want to get rid of it. However, after I remove “Client for Netware Networks” from the workstation or simply shut the Novell server down, some of the XP workstations will not connect with the workgroup (can’t see the NT servers or any of the other PCs in the workgroup). Note that I said "some of the XP workstations", about 7 of them connect fine with "Client for Netware" removed. After I reinstall “Client for Netware Networks” on the non-connecting workstations (or turn the Novell back on) they connect with the workgroup just fine. I can’t see any difference in the setup of the workstations that will connect and the workstations that won’t connect. One of the NT 4 servers has "Gateway" enabled but does not have any gateway shares entered. This particular server was set up by a third party vendor using an SQL database and I am a little reluctant to make any significant changes to their configuration. Do you have any suggestions?

What protocol(s) are on the NT Server.
What Service Pack is on the problem XP computers.
What firewalls are on the problem XP computers.
Can those computers ping the NT servers by both IP and Name

BERNDOG

Bob Cerelli said:
What protocol(s) are on the NT Server.
What Service Pack is on the problem XP computers.
What firewalls are on the problem XP computers.
Can those computers ping the NT servers by both IP and Name

BERNDOG

Both NT 4 servers have the same four protocol items installed, they are:
Netbeui Protocol
Nwlink IP/IPX compatable transport
Nwlink netbios
Tcp/IP Protocol

All of the workstations are using XP Pro. One of the workstations acts as a print server with 3 printers attached and shared. Six of the problem PCs have service pack 1, the other has service Pack 2 installed.

They are using Zone Alarm Plus, however I had disabled this firewall while attempting to make this changeover. The XP firewall is not active.

The affected PCs cannot get a valid PING connection to the NT servers as long as the Novel server is unavailable (either shut down or the network cable disconnected).

My primary routine (there have been many different attempts since the primary) was to set preferred server on both the XPs and the NT servers to none.
I then removed the Client for Netware Networks from each of the XPs. Then clicked “repair” on the network connection and shut the PC down.
After all PCs were down I shut both NT servers down, and shut the Novel server down.
I started the two NT servers and after they had completed their boot process I started each PC individually. About half the PCs failed to find either of the two NT servers or the XP print server. In order to get them back into operation I had to reload “Client for Netware Networks” and turn the Novel server back on. I have been unable to find any difference in the setup for the workstations that work and the workstations that don’t. Thanks for the response.

Bernie Kincaid

Why do you need so many protocols. TCP/IP networks just fine.

For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

BERNDOG

None of the PCs have a static IP. The IPs are furnished by a router that acts as a DHCP server. We have a cable modem attached to the router and all the PCs (even the misbehaving ones) have no problem accessing the internet.

BERNDOG

None of the PC have a static IP address. The IP addresses are furnished by a router which acts as an HDCP server. We have a cable modem attached to the router and all the PCs (even the problem ones) have no problem connecting to the internet.

You shouldn't need to have static IP's in order to use TCP/IP, especially since your Internet is working fine using DHCP.

BERNDOG

Bob:

As you suggested I removed all protocols (and the gateway) except TCP/IP on both NT servers and was then able to connect all the workstations just fine. Thanks for the information.

Bernie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online