1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Office constantly "preparing to install"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by annegj, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annegj

annegj Thread Starter

My computer was purchased a couple of years ago second-hand with Office XP installed, and without the system CDs. A couple of months ago something happened while I was on the Internet that caused the computer to want to install Office EVERY TIME I TRY TO OPEN AN OFFICE FILE. When I click "open office document" from the Start menu, I get a dialog box that says "Preparing to install." If I click "cancel" quickly enough, it launches the application just fine. If I don't click "cancel," I get another dialog box that says "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft XP Professional." Again, if I click "cancel" quickly enough, the application launches. If I don't click "cancel," I get a third dialog box that says "The feature use are trying to use is on a CD Rom that is not available. Insert 'Microsoft Office XP Professional' disk and click OK." Again, if I click cancel, it's okay. A final dialog box suggests troubleshooting by going to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\1033\SETUP.HLP - once again, this suggests using the CD-ROM! I've been going through this elaborate dance for months and I'm beginning to get tired of it! Any suggestions welcome!

2. Rockn

Rockn

It is possible that some files for Office XP have been damaged or corrupted for whatever reason and that is why you are getting the prompt to reinstall. If you don't have the installation CD you may just be out of luck. Can you open any of the Office apps without opening a file? If you can, you may want to try to run the repair facility in the Help pulldown. It will probably ask for the installation CD so you still may be out of luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice