1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp on laptop creates bad bitmap

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dalcomm, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dalcomm

dalcomm Thread Starter

I put XP on my win98 laptop, which is only a 266MHz/64MB machine, and it runs OK except when I save a bitmap. About 1/3 of the image is blank. The application I am using was written by a manufacturer of test equipment. Running on my desktop, all is well. So the SW is fine. Could this be a video driver problem? XP chose the driver automatically.
    The laptop is a Compaq 1237, not tested with XP by Compaq.
    It has a Neomagic Magicgraph adapter.
    Suggestions? (other than buying a new laptop)
    Thanks

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

XP is not designed to run on that system. If that is your only problem, then your already ahead of the game. According to the Microsoft site, running it with 64 Megs will limit functionability, that may be the culprit.

3. dalcomm

dalcomm Thread Starter

That is a possibility, when the new memory arrives we will see. The max is 96MB for the Compaq 1237 :-(
    I will post the result.

4. Deathblow

Deathblow

Yeah, let us know. I can't think of anything else that would cause that, since it's really not Video card related, it's all done internally.

5. dalcomm

dalcomm Thread Starter

Well, the extra memory did not fix it. XP found the extra 32MB though. I will have to call the authors of the application (General Dynamics) maybe they will have an idea. If it is not video related, I think I am sunk.

6. scooby-doo

scooby-doo

I have just bought a Sony laptop PCG-K215M 2.8GHz 512MB RAM XP home etc. (with downloaded latest video drivers) I have just tried viewing some of my bitmap images which were saved on my old computer using me, the picture quality is terrible. I have also just tried saving a picture as a bitmap, this did not work, it saved the picture but as a jpeg!! Off now to do some research in to this......

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

bmp are huge compared to jpeg, take up a lot of the hd and you can only see so much even at hi resolution if you have a huge monitor, which you don't have.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice