1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP only starts in Safe Mode - need expert help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GeoLuj, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GeoLuj

GeoLuj Thread Starter

I have a similar problem to another one that was posted here but since the other post was resolved, I'm not getting many responses and I would GREATLY appreciate some help.

I tried everything I know and have read. My computer (desktop, XP, SP3, AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 Dual Core Proc, 3800+, 2.01 GHz, 448MB RAM) will not stay on. I can power it on in SafeMode (with or w/o networking) but nothing else, not even Last Known Good Configuration. If I try, it sometimes powers ON and gets as far as the Windows Logo but before fully loading, it powers OFF. I have tried the following - 1) opening it up and blowing all dust out, 2) System Restore, 3) uninstalling & reinstalling Device Driver (NVIDIA geForce), Error Checking and following all steps for startup initialization files or services problems. None of these have helped. I recently did a spyware scan, a disk scan and a defrag.

UPDATE: After numerous attempts, I am sometimes able to get into regular mode but it only stays on for 5 minutes. Any explanation for that? It is not overheating. I have the two side panels off, it is dust free and it is cool.

SECOND UPDATE: Someone said to run Error Checking again so I did but it obviously doesn't start until you reboot but now when I boot in Safe Mode it freezes at: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers/Mup.sys

Now I'm stuck again. Now I can only start in SafeMode when I tap the ENTER key a dozen times at the freezing point (mentioned above) but never in Regular Mode!!!

PLEASE HELP !!!

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Do you have an XP install CD? If so, boot to it and press "R" when asked. Select the system it displays and log on. If it asks for an Administrator password, just press enter unless you have created a password. When you finally get the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press enter. It will take several minutes to complete, perhaps over an hour, depending on size. When it finishes, type exit and press enter to reboot.

If you don't have the XP install CD, there are several other methods that can be used to run chkdsk so post back if you need more info on those.

dude

3. GeoLuj

GeoLuj Thread Starter

Hi Dude and thanks for the quick reply. It is totally unlike me NOT to have the XP install CD. I save everything but have torn my office apart looking for it and cannot find it. You'll have to lead me through the other options but isn't CHKDSK the same as Error Checking? Or the same as Clean Disk? I can run both of those features in Safe Mode but keep in mind that SafeMode freezes with Error Checking.

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

Hi Geo,

That's why I suggested that you try running it in the Recovery Console. If that fails, you would be well advised to back up any valued data to separate media while you still have Safe Mode access. Then a reinstall of the operating system would be in order. A clean install is recommended but if you have the time to fiddle with it and like to do such, then try a Repair install.

Of course if you have a hardware problem, a reinstall will fail but at least you'll know the software wasn't at fault.

Think disk image backup for future protection.

5. surferdude2

surferdude2

I forgot to mention that you could test the HD with the manufacturers utility if the chkdsk /r doesn't work in the Recovery Console mode. I'd do that before going forward with a reinstall.

6. GeoLuj

GeoLuj Thread Starter

Can I run chkdsk/r from the command prompt in SafeMode? Will it also ask me to reboot? If it does, I may be back to my 'worst' problem meaning I won't even be able to get back to SafeMode. I'll wait for your reply before trying anything.

7. surferdude2

surferdude2

No, running it in safe mode will not escape the requirement to reboot since the Windows GUI is still actively in control of the drive. XP locks the drive from being manipulated at the proper level for correcting any errors by chkdsk.

The Recovery Console escapes that. There are other ways also and they don't require an XP install CD.

Some methods that you can use are:

Download a Recovery Console boot CD iso and burn it to create a bootable CD.

Create a BartPE boot CD. You can boot it and run chkdsk. (catch 22 here, you need a XP CD to build it)

Get a Vista Repair CD. It'll work for command line access of XP NTFS files. Anyone with Vista has the ability to make one or else you can download an ISO file from the internet that will allow you to create one.

Take your choice.

8. surferdude2

surferdude2

9. GeoLuj

GeoLuj Thread Starter

I just found this by doing a google search. Is this what you're talking about? Should I download this?
    This is a download of an .iso file of just the Recovery Console for XP.
    Burn to CD with Nero or other 'disc image' capable tool and boot.
    It looks just like the start of a normal XP CD, but will only offer the Recovery Console by pressing "R."

All normal Recovery Console procedures can be run from this utility.
    Direct download: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Also...........I do have a recovery disk for another computer, an HP computer with XP. Could I use that disk? If I understand you correctly, I can either use a recovery disk or I can download a recovery disk. Right? I cannot run chkdsk from the command prompt. Right?

10. surferdude2

surferdude2

Let me see if I can clear it up for you.

No, you can't use a RECOVERY disk. It requires a full version XP install disk. They are different. The MS install CD will have the MS emblem hologram.

No, you can't use a RECOVERY disk nor can you download one. You can download an ISO file and use it to create a bootable CD that contains the RECOVERY CONSOLE, which is a tool that MS created for attempting to repair the XP NTFS system files. So, it's a Recovery Console boot CD and not a recovery CD. Big difference.

Wrong, in your particular case and situation, you cannot run chkdsk from a command prompt WHILE booted to Safe Mode. Normally that is possible but not for you this time around. You can run chkdsk from a command prompt from the Recovery Console boot CD.

Get the RC.ISO file from my source or yours, no matter, and create the CD using your burner and selecting to create a CD from an image. Point it to the iso download for the image and away you go.

Use that CD to boot the computer. You may have to set the bios to read the CD-ROM first before the HD or perhaps you'll have an option to boot the CD will be offered after POST screen fades.

When you get booted to the CD, you'll be given the choice to attempt to repair an existing system. Choose that by press the "R" key. Your operating system should then be shown in the screen. Choose to log on to it and when asked for the Administrators password, just press Enter, unless you know that you have added a password, most people don't. You'll end up getting the command line C:\Windows>. Type chkdsk /r and press enter. Allow lots of time for it to complete, it'll probably take over an hour. If it hangs, it'll mean you are going to have to test the hard drive since it may have failed and may need to be replaced.

dude

11. GeoLuj

GeoLuj Thread Starter

Nothing but problems! I am trying to dowload/burn the file you mentioned but apparently this computer only has the OEM version of SonicRecordNow so it won't let me do it. It says I'm missing the RNENU.MSI file which apparently is not included in the OEM version. Then I tried to transfer Nero from my defected computer over to this once but can't do that either. I tried to copy it to a flash drive. It wouldn't install properly. Any suggestions? The only BURN apps I have are Sonic and Nero.

12. GeoLuj

GeoLuj Thread Starter

Disregard my previous post. I was in frantic mode then but everything worked fine after I realized what I was doing wrong. So I burned the CD, changed the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM and got excited for awhile there because everything seemed to be working fine - just like you said - until the computer powered off!! Here is what happened when it booted from the CD:

Window Setup
    Loading Files
    Starting Windows
    (I entered R)
    1. C:\WINDOWS
    Which Windows installation would you like to log onto?
    To cancel, press ENTER

I didn't know what to enter here. I tried different letters (including 'c', thinking I was going to enter chkdsk) but they were all invalid so I pressed ENTER. I never had a chance to enter chkdsk/r.

Then I chose NORMAL WINDOWS when prompted - my computer powered down instantly.
    The second time through this, I chose LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION - same results.

Now what? Do you know which Windows Installation I wanted to log onto? Would that make a difference or do I now have to test my hard drive? If so, I'll need instructions.

Note: I checked the data on my CD and it contained the I386 folder and WIN51, WIN51IC files. Does that sound right to you?

13. GeoLuj

GeoLuj Thread Starter

OK. I did it. I was able to figure out the proper answer to that last prompt by searching google. The answer was '1' so I was able to run chkdsk /r. It ran for over an hour and came back with "CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume". I entered EXIT, went back into BIOS to have it boot from my hard drive but when I tried to run Normal Windows, my computer powered down again. I booted again to LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION and got the same results - it powered off. The 3rd time I booted in Safe Mode with Networking and that's where I am now.

Now what? I think I'm making progress but I still need more help.

14. surferdude2

surferdude2

Yes, you are making progress in many areas but still unable to boot normally.

Now go to START > RUN and type SFC /SCANNOW in the window and click OK. Be prepared to provide the XP setup CD when/if asked.

That supposedly will replace any missing or corrupt system files you may have. Frankly, I've had little luck when using it but we must try all options before tossing in the towel.

Post back your results.

oops, I forgot you don't have a setup CD. hmm.. well, run it anyway and maybe you won't be asked...

15. GeoLuj

GeoLuj Thread Starter

Exactly! I don't have a setup disk. I was able to find the paperwork that came with my PC but there were no disks and I do not have a secondary HD. The disk would have been with the paperwork so apparently I never received them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice