1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP + Open Word Doc = Restarts on it's own

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jeccej, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeccej

jeccej Thread Starter

It seems that when I have an open Word Doc and leave my PC on , it restarts by itself. The only time it happens is with a Word Document open.

When I sign back onto the PC it asks if I want to send an error report. Sorry I don't have the report info.

When I Open the word Docs again I can get the recovered copies that I had open but I would like to stop this from happening if I can.

Any help would be appreciated..........Thanks

Dell Dimension 4100
    Win XP SP1
    Word 2000
    512 Ram
    40 Gig HD
    Norton AV 2002
    Spybot S&D
    Zone Alarm
    Battery Backup/Surge Protector

2. Yehaten

Yehaten

I really hope that you have tried to Reinstalled Office before you typed this here....that is the first thing that you will do if you are having any problems with a program that is acting wierd.
    If you are having problems with XP, i can understand that you do not Format C: ;)
    If you have reinstalled Office, then it is a more complexed problem.
    - remove any temp-files

Sorry, but I donĀ“t have any more suggestions, not an expert on Office-program.

// Yehaten ( The Swede )

3. tbritches

tbritches

The first thing to do is to find out WHY your system is restarting. It may have nothing to do with Word. Right click on My Computer and select properties. Go to the Advanced Tab and Click on the settings box in the "Startup and Recovery" box. Uncheck "Automatically Restart" under "System Failure." The next time you have the problem, the system won't restart, but will give you a message as to what happened. Then you can better troubleshoot the problem.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

As well as tbritches suggestion, you may get a helpful error report for the last occasion this happened. Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer and scroll down the System list skipping the information logs and head for the Error and Warning logs.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  6. jeccej

jeccej Thread Starter

I tried an even less complicated solution that seems to have worked at least once.

I copied the word doc information onto the windows clipboard and then exited the program.

Figured if it was the word program causing the PC to shut down then closing it may keep it from happening. I also would have the info from the clipboard to paste on a new word doc in the morning.

Of course if it still shut down on it's own again then I would be screwed. My info isn't that important or complicated so I could risk having to do it over in the morning if I had to.

So far, so good. I'll try it again tonight.

Thanks to everyone for your help..........

7. slink9

slink9

Virus scan and spyware scan to verify that your system is clean. If this started heppening at a certain time you may want to do a System Restore to a date just before that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice