1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Opening very slow for Word/Excel from Quick Launch or Folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jonski, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonski

Jonski Thread Starter

Just recently my XP laptop has become really slow opening MS Office 2003 shortcuts. Both from the Quick Launch toolbar and by double-clicking an icon in a folder. The files are on my C: drive.
    e.g

- opening an Excel spreadsheet by clicking the link in Quick Launch just took 57 seconds to launch .
    - opening small MS Word file by clicking the link in Quick Launch just took 48 seconds launch.:(

Even if MS Word is already up and running, it still takes 20 seconds to open the small Word file from the Quick Launch toolbar. I had Firefox and Google Desktop also running when I made these timings, but nothing else. My PC is a recent Intel Core Duo laptop, so it should be fast.

If I open the same document from within MS Word, it opens almost instantaneously but of course that defeats the object of putting shortcuts on the Quick Launch bar....

I'm running F-Secure with virus and spyware scanning on and deepguard on; and I also recently had some viruses which it cleaned up for me. I also ran CCleaner to clean up my registry not so long ago. Don't know if this could have affected it?

Can anyone help please?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice