1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Operating System, want to install as new

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by btuell, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. btuell

btuell Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a dell latitude CPI laptop. Has windows 98. I would like to have a new operating system XP (like what I have on my PC at home)

I tried to do a clean install on the latptop with format c: s/ (to save the system files) and to wipe the harddrive clean. I then installed MS XP Home edition. When it boots up, it shows I have the two operating systems on the harddrive. Maybe that isn't a problem, but I would think it would take up harddrive space.

I would like to start over!! and wipe the harddrive clean and reinstall the XP operating system. Any ideas?

It seems like the install of the XP operating system is alot EASIER than window 95 and 98 were. It's been along time since I've done this kind of thing!! I didn't need the floppy drive. worked all from the CD!!
    Thanks!
    bt

PS: After installing, I discovered how MS now requires you to register the operating system. I had installed XP from the cds I have from my PC.

Today I purchased an OEM XP Operating system on-line $48.00. They claim it will be a new unregistered system, just without the paperwork, etc. I am thinking I will keep use the cd's from my pc as I know that works and just register the numbers I get from the version I just paid for. Will that work? I keep seeing SP2 in the forum. Is that a fix for XP? Could I be getting an older version of XP????
    I am so thankful I found this site!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you formated prior to installing XP you likely only have one system . . you can fix the "choose which operating system" message by clicking on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Boot Ini tab and have it check all boot paths . . one will likely come up as invalid, have it delet invalid paths.

Microsoft requires that you Activate XP . . Registration is optional.

SP2 is a major update to the XP Operating System. It introduces signifiacntly improved security. The sooner you install it, the fewer problems you will have.

Not sure what the $48 got you . . but do not be suprised if it has dificulties activating.

wrs

3. Plato!

Plato!

Before you try a clean install of XP, make sure you have all of the drivers your laptop requires.

4. btuell

btuell Thread Starter

Thank you!

I do have all the cds that came with the PC I purchased. (drivers, etc)

Also, I called the company I am ordered the XP OEM operating system from and they assured me that I will beable to activate XP. I can't wait to get home tonight and work on the laptop.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice