1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP or harddrive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BruinBeer, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BruinBeer

BruinBeer Thread Starter

I have a computer here that don't want to boot into windows. It starts to load and get to this message: One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.
    I then let the test run. After the test is complete, the computer restart and start to load windows and then it gets to the same consistency check message. When I press a key to skip the test the computer restart again and load to the same message.
    Does this sound like a corrupted Win XP installation or a dying harddrive?
    This is a customer's computer so I don't know who installed this OS. They just tell me that some guy helped them to reinstall Windows and that the computer don't want to load.
    I think the previous installation was Win Vista Basic. The current one is Win XP Pro

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

check the pc at the manufacturers site for drivers and compatability for windows xp or if the machine only has support for vista os drivers etc...

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Could be a bad drive, but also could be memory. Does it always stop in the same place? Any better luck with Safe Mode?

4. BruinBeer

BruinBeer Thread Starter

The consistency check complete 100%, then the computer restarts, but then it go to the consistency test again. When I press a key to skip the test the computer restart and then its the same story again.
    And, it don't want to load into safe mode.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does the same thing happen in Safe Mode? Have you tried all the other startup menu options? "Last Good"?

If you have, test memory.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

6. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You could boot the system with a Linux live CD then run testdisk. This would give you a decent indication of the condition of the hard drive.

Personally, in your position, I'd be using Spinrite on that drive. This isn't free, but you did say this is a customer, so presumably you are in the business and Spinrite is a tool you should have.

7. BruinBeer

BruinBeer Thread Starter

Ok. I did another test too.
    I've tested the HD on another computer with a program called HD Tune and it comes up with one bad block.
    Does one bad block mean anything or isn't it something to worry about?

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

One bad block could be because the baby knocked against the computer while the disk was doing I/O. Doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Map the block out, recover the corrupted file, and keep on going. But keep an eye on that drive; it might just be one bad block...or it could be the first of a cascade of bad blocks - which does mean a failing HD.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice