1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP or Hardware??I'm not sure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Pooky, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pooky

Pooky Thread Starter

Windows xp reboots itself - occasionally
    Mouse freezes/systems crashes - frequently:mad: Particularly if its innactive....power constantly on, screen savers OFF
    Regular virus scans are clear....
    Would appreciate some ideas what to do next...

2. milomorai

milomorai

get adware and/or spybot and check for spyware/adware. sounds like that is what you have. after installing the programs, first get the latest update for them then run them. in adaware delete everything it finds; in spybot delete all that are in red.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

First thing to do is go into the control panel/System/advanced, click on the "startup and recovery" button, turn off "automatically reboot" then wait for a error message.. If you get one, post it back..

If it continues to do it without a error message it may be heat, a power supply, or a flakey motherboard. But at least it should narrow the reason down..

Freezes are generally due to heat problems.. But could be due to memory.

4. Pooky

Pooky Thread Starter

gotrootdude - tried that, no error msg - continuing to crash and probs starting, doing a spyware test now, if i have no luck i'd be interested in how the motherboard could be 'flakey', I have plenty of memory.
    Thanks for your advice..

5. coderitr

coderitr

What gotrootdude said is right -- freezes can occur if the system overheats. If you built the system yourself you should have a utility on the cd that came with the motherboard to monitor cpu temperature. If you bought the system then contact the manufacturer for such a tool.

6. Pooky

Pooky Thread Starter

Thanks guys, the pc has recently been rebuilt, i've discovered the event viewer and there is a hardware failure. This is getting all too technical for me so it looks like i'll have to get someone round with the knowledge and expertise to fix the problem(I was trying to be independent and widen my skills).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!