1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

? XP or Hardware problem...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aquaboy, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aquaboy

aquaboy Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is an XP problem or hardware related, so apologies if it's in the wrong forum.
    This morning my PC developed the problem where, a minute or two after loading the OS, it shuts the PC off completely and restarts it. This has happened all day. The longest it stays on for is a couple of minutes. As soon as I try to load a program, any program is shuts the PC down. My NAV is up to date and was checked last night, plus I run a pretty tight firewall, so I don't think I've been virus attacked. I'm thinking it's something to do with XP itself, or perhaps the power supply.
    Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to what I can do?
    Thanks for all help offered.

2. jnibori

jnibori

Shut downs can also be a sign of over-heating. Any chance your fan died?

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Thread Starter

Not sure. How would I know? Just by not hearing anything? Doesn't feel like it's overheating. It boots normally, the desktop loads, then as soon as I do anything, eg open IE or Windows explorer or control panel, it shuts off immediately. All power appears to be killed and then it reboots.

4. jnibori

jnibori

You should be able to hear it. Get close to the back of the box and listen.

If you are still unsure, you might have to open the box for a closer look.

5. jnibori

jnibori

I think you might also be able to get the fan RPMs from the bIOS, but I am not 100% sure about that.

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Thread Starter

OK, checked during boot up. The fan is working normally and the system is definitely not hot.

BTW thx for replying.

7. Cantrip#10

Cantrip#10

See if you can get the system to boot into Safe Mode. While it is rebooting start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. That should bring up a boot menu that you can select Safe Mode from. Once you are in Safe Mode click on Start and then right-click on My Computer. Choose Properties. Once the System Properties window is up click on the Advanced tab. Look for the section called Startup and Shutdown. Click the Settings button in that section. Look for a checkbox that says to reboot on system errors and remove the checkmark. Boot back to Normal mode. With that change you should get a blue screen error instead of a reboot. Record the error and post it for more help.

8. Casey820

Casey820

If your computer has a case fan, there's no way you're going to be able to hear if the processor fan died. You also can't tell if the system is overheating unless you took the case off and actually put your hand close to the processor. The whole case isn't going to get hot.

The problem definitely sounds like overheating. Pull the case off and check the processor fan. Turn on the computer and verify it's still running.

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    Thx for help.
    Followed advice above and got the BSod. The message seems to vary slightly each time. Here is what it says:

A problem has been detected......
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then:

STOP: 0X0000000A (0X0000001C, 0X0000002, 0X00000001, 0X80515092)

The next time it said the following:

STOP 0X0000008E (0X00000005, 0XBF838E5F, 0XEE5B8C3C, 0X00000000)
    WIN32K.sys - Address BF838E5F base at BF800000, DateStamp 3db6d462

Does this mean anything to anyone? All ideas gratefully received.
    Cheers

10. wowwie2003

wowwie2003

Stop 0x0000000A irql_not_less_or_equal is cause with a hardware conflict
    This behavior can occur if there is incompatible hardware or an incompatible device driver on your computer

11. atconc

atconc

have you installed anything new (software or hardware) or changed any settings recently?

If you've installed new software or changed settings try rolling back to your most recent restore point (assuming you have system restore switched on)

If you haven't changed anything it could be that something has come lose inside your case, or got dusty, open up your system and check all the cards, ur ram and cpu are all seated firmly, have a look to see if there's any dust built up anywhere too.

If none of this helps you might have a currupt file somewhere, you could try booting from the xp cd and doing a repair install.

Hope some of this helps

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Thread Starter

I installed a DVD-ROM drive over a month ago, but no new SW or HW or changed settings since then. It was working fine with no problems until yesterday morning. I will have a look and see if anything has come loose inside.
    If I boot from the CD and repair install, what should I do?

13. atconc

atconc

i can't remember exactly how it goes but you should be prompted to do a "repair install" or something along those lines, choose that option and it should just run through and repair any damaged files. I had this fix a screwed win2k install once, so it may be worth a try. Have you tried the system restore approach?

14. aquaboy

aquaboy Thread Starter

I tried rolling it back first. Didn't make any difference. Now it's doing my head in. :-(

15. atconc

atconc

it's worth trying the repair install thing then i think, certainly shouldn't make things any worse. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/150311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice