1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP or Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spencer88, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spencer88

spencer88 Thread Starter

I am buying a new business computer to use SAGE and Photoshop CS4. The man in PC World said he didn't think SAGE would work with Windows 7 so recommended i buy a HP with XP built in for £580 with 22" monitor. The alternative is Acer Aspire x1301 and get a graphics card for it... Which should i go for to avoid problems with my programs working??

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If you don't mind having to change your OS in 2014 (year where Microsoft will stop supporting XP), I'd say go with XP.

3. Megabite

Megabite

Hi,

What version is your SAGE and how old is it?

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Go to SAGE's website and find out if the product will run on Windows 7.

5. Megabite

Megabite

If it is a couple of years old I would play it safe and go with XP.

6. spencer88

spencer88 Thread Starter

It is the SAGE Start-up. I have just finished the free 3 month trial and now im am buying it off them for £6 per month. Im sure it would be ok to replace after 3 years. Does Windows 7 suffer with lots of problems? I remember when Vista first came out and it didn't half give me a headache!! :)

7. Megabite

Megabite

No....I have Windows Ultimate and it is like XP but faster and not like Vista at all...which I have too but never use

8. spencer88

spencer88 Thread Starter

So if I buy the ACER Aspire that has Windows 7 it should be better than the HP with XP? The Acer is a lot cheaper :)

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't want to get a computer with Windows XP unless you know for certain that you must use a program that is completely incompatible with Windows 7. I don't see that you've determined that yet. What is "Sage"? An Internet search turns up all kinds of things. Did you contact them or look at their support site to see if the software is compatible with Windows 7? I wouldn't take the word of some guy at PC World who's only going off what you tell him.

10. spencer88

spencer88 Thread Starter

Point taken - Thank you, I have e mailed SAGE (Accounting program) and asked them so hopefully he will reply in the morning.

11. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

ask if the Acer supports Hardware Virtualization. If it does you won't have any problems at all

12. spencer88

spencer88 Thread Starter

I have been saving my files to an external hard drive. I took it to my Mums this evening to check all of my files were accessable and it wouldn't open them. Does the computer i connect it to have to have microsoft office word 97-2003 for example to open files that i have created on it? If i bought a new pc that has maybe a different updated office word on it would my files be useless?

13. Megabite

Megabite

Do you mean you can't access any of the files on the external drive......and if so what does it say if anything?

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are we onto a new problem? If the files were created with Office, they have to be opened with Office or a program that can open the Office file formats.

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    There are Free Readers that will let you read Office files ... Without Office installed .. You just can't Edit them.

By 2014 ... Windows 7 will be obsolete :D ... Like I've ever got support from M$ anyway (n) ... I'll probably still be on XP then.
    The question is ... Will M$ stop providing XP updates in 2014 ???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice