1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp os corrupted,must reload

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rwljll, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwljll

rwljll Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 7850 Dual-Core Processor, x86 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3519 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 439787 MB, Free - 348406 MB; F: Total - 514079 MB, Free - 507580 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., M61PME-S2P
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I am 72 years old, have medical problems..I am basically housebound. My computers are my window to the world! This computer is 5 years old. It has been perfect until malware caused it to malfunction. I had ITOK look at it from the internet.They spent 8 hours with it and now it semi-works. Can't install or remove programs, programs don't run right. They said to reload xp! I bought a OEM xp pro sp3 disk with COA on the internet. I need to know how to reload the xp os. I would really like to reinstall to same partition overwriting the defective install. My programs and files would survive that way. Much of my software I bought online and downloaded it! I have no disks! With Win 98SE I just found win.exe in the system 32 directory and deleted it. Then I could reinstall Win98SE over the defective os. CAN I DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT WITH XP?????? I REALLY NEED HELP!!!! Thanks in advance to all who will help me!!!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Chances are the infection only caused some minor damage to your system files. Are you quite certain the Malware was completely removed, if there are any remnants left they will remain on the system unless you do a format and clean install. Have you tried running the System File Checker.

You could try this first which will repair any damaged system files:

Please download this and save it to your desktop: XP SP3 .ISO download

You then need to burn the .ISO image to a CD. You must use and ISO burning program, just copying the file to a CD will not work.

If you do not have an ISO burner then please follow this:

Download this and save it to your desktop: ImgBurn

Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file you wish to burn. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Boot the PC and then when at the desktop insert the CD.
    Open Windows Explorer and then double click on My Computer in the left pane.
    In the right pane double click on your CD drive.
    Then in the right pane double click on the AUTORUN icon and follow the prompts.

==========================================================================

If that fails to cure the problem we could go on to find the damaged files or services, it's up to you.

To run a Repair Install with your new XP disc, please follow this:

To run a Repair Install on XP which has Internet Explorer 7 or 8 installed you will first need to revert Internet Explorer back to IE6 or IE will not function after the Repair.
    Follow this guide: Revert Internet Explorer back to IE6

Now check what Service Pack is included on your Windows XP installation disc.
    The repair install will revert the Service Pack level back to what is included on the CD, so unless it has SP3 included it will save a lot of time downloading and installing updates, after the repair, if you create a copy of the XP disc with SP3 integrated into it.

Follow this guide to create a slipstreamed copy of XP to include SP3.
    SATA drivers need to be included if you have a SATA hard drive, if you don't, simply skip that part of the instructions and only add the Service Pack.
    Slipstream XP with SP3 and SATA drivers

Make quite sure you have a record of the XP Product key. It can normally be found on a Product Key sticker on the case of the PC. You may require this after the Repair to re-validate XP.
    Use this guide to find the Key: How to find your XP Product Key

Follow this guide to run the Repair Install: XP Repair Install

As a precaution, in the event of something going wrong, you should back up all your important data from the hard drive to an external drive or CD/DVD's. If any errors occur during the Repair it may be necessary to run a format and clean install , in which case all data and installed software will be lost.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice