1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP OS problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by muchichi, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

okay i have this Windows Home Edition Update cd so i installed windows 98 and then proceeded to the windows home edition update cd (since i dont have the Windows Home Edition OS cd) and it said it had an error.

so there are 2 comps in my house. one has the windows xp professional OS on it but i tried to install that on my messed up comp and it goes through all the loading things on the bottom of the blue setup screen before all the white text pops up. but then it says

Setup is starting Windows

and then it just sits there forever. i tried to restart and do the pre loading 3 times and it still doesnt load. it doesnt even have the lil' dots after it (...)!! i have another question:
    can you install windows xp pro on two computers while sharing one serial number?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Windows 98 needs to be the full retail version. A Windows 98 Upgrade CD won't work (unless you happen to have a CD for the OS before that).

so there are 2 comps in my house. one has the windows xp professional OS on it but i tried to install that on my messed up comp and it goes through all the loading things on the bottom of the blue setup screen before all the white text pops up. but then it says

No you cannot, and according to the site rules we cannot help with the XP Pro issue.

If you would like help with the ORIGINAL issue, we need to know whether your copies of XP Home and Windows 98 are installed on any other computers.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You don't need to install 98 first. Just install the full XP from the upgrade CD and save yourself that step and the possible problems that can result.

4. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

i tried and it comes up that:

"error is 7" and then some file

so i think i may have to have the original Windows XP home Edition OS cd before proceeding onto that cd

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You tried to boot from the upgrade CD and got that error? What kind of upgrade CD is it? Is it an XP upgrade to 98?

If it won't boot from CD, you could use the XP Setup Boot Disks, or the single boot disk at Madboot .

6. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

yeah i did it was the Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade cd. i dont know i think its just to update from 98 to xp but not sure...okay so this setup boot disk lets me have the whole OS? okay i'll try the Home Edition Setup disk one.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

The whole OS is on the upgrade disk. What do you mean disk 1? There is only one disk.

When you are installing, you will be asked to insert the 98 disk for a moment to prove that you have it and are eligible for an upgrade. But the whole XP is on the CD.

8. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

so do i burn it on a cd or floppy cuz the link you gave me is for floppys but you are saying a cd. also in the directions:

The Setup process starts. Insert the other floppy disks as you are prompted to do so. You must use the Windows XP CD-ROM to finish the Setup process.

i thought the link was to obtain the files that are in the Windows XP setup cd.

Also, i had just tried the first floppy of the Windows XP Home Edition from the setup disk link you gave and it says:

BOOT: I/O error reading disk
    Please insert another disk_

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The 6 floppies are an alternative way of starting XP setup. If you have trouble booting from the XP CD, you can use the 6 floppies as another option, but you still need to have the CD in the drive.

The Madboot floppy will also start the installation, but needs only one floppy, so you might want to try that first.

If you had no problems creating the 6 floppies from the downloaded program, then the first floppy should boot unless there is something wrong with the floppy or the drive.

Only the few basic files needed to start setup are on the floppies. It would take around 300 floppies to hold all the data on the CD.

10. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

yeah i dont know whats wrong w/ the comp.i tried to uninstall windows 98 and then put in the floppy but it comes up w/ the error.
    Do you mean that i have to have the windows 98 cd in with the floppy.

i went onto the pc boot setup and i put in order of

removable devices
    hard drive
    ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
    network boot

i also tried to put the files onto another floppy to see if it was the floppy that was bad but apparently not. the madboot disk or w/e site doesnt work on my comp. is there a way to upgrade from windows 98 to windows xp?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

12. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

yes i put in my seagate Disc Utility CD and wiped the harddrive clean. on the madboot it says i need an account and when i hit it the page is unavailable. i put in the 98 disk and the floppy #1 and it says the BOOT error

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. I just uploaded the Madboot floppy image to my site, so see if you can download it from there. Put in a floppy and run the program to make the bootable floppy.

Madboot

It should be 1,192,951 bytes.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Maybe you can't boot from a floppy. Did you run the 98 program to make the floppy or just copy it to the floppy? You need to run the program.

15. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

i can boot from a floppy but i have some questions:

1. am i supposed to have windows 98 before putting in the floppy?
    2. am i supposed to have the windows 98 or the windows xp update cd in the cd drive when putting in the floppy?
    3. am i supposed to boot from the floppy or cd?
    4. does this madboot help update windows 98 to xp?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice