1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP pagefile set up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dustyvan, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dustyvan

dustyvan Thread Starter

Following is my pagefile setup:

RAM = 1Gb
    drive E: 1532 Mb pagefile
    drive C: = min 4Gb, Max 100 Gb pagefile

When "exploring" drive E: I see pagefile.sys at 1532 Mb. but drive C: has no pagefile.sys. I've tried setting up the pagefile several times on drive C: but still don't see anything. I've read that I may need to do brain surgery on the registry to set up my pagefiler on C: but I'm kinda nervous about that. Any ideas or advice?
    Tnx,
    Dusty

2. bonk

bonk Banned

You mean you went into were you can set the paging file and set it to custom and set the amounts manually?

3. dustyvan

dustyvan Thread Starter

Yes, Last week I set up my pagefile on E: My computer>propertys>advanced. No problem. Today I read that I should also set up C: with a min of 4 and a max of 100. I did that several times. I see the pagefile.sys on E: but I don't see any on C:

4. bonk

bonk Banned

E is your Main drive with your Operating system on it and C is an secondary drive Internal I would guess

You don't mean GB for paging file do you?

5. dustyvan

dustyvan Thread Starter

Lol, Mb, Gb, Tb it's all the same isn't it? Yeah, you're right.

C: is my primary drive with the OS. E: is a secondary drive. I was told to move my pagefile off of the primary drive and to make it about 1.5 times the amount of RAM. I did that last week with no problems.

Today I read that I should create a smaller pafefile on my primary drive as well. Something like 2 mb min X 50 mb max OR 4 mb min X 100 mb max if I had the room. That's what I did. The pagefile.sys on E: is 1532 mb but the newly created pagfile.sys on C: (4mb X 100mb) is not showing up in the file system.

6. Drew7997

Drew7997

Well Dustyvan, I've heard of making it 1.5 times the size and onto a different physical disk than your OS, but i've never heard of making another 2mb swap file, Why would you want your comp to be confused as to which on to put it on?
    They build in buffers for HDD's like WD has a 200 gig with 16mb, but they are built in, not added.
    leave your system the way it is, removing the C: pagefile is my suggestion.

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Before you start worrying about the pagefile, are you actually using it? With a GB installed, unless you are running large apps odds are good it is seldom active.

8. dustyvan

dustyvan Thread Starter

Well, I assumed I am as I usually have 3 MS Office prgs open and I switch between them often. I allways have excel open with spreadsheets that are anywhere from 4 to 6 layers deep. Usually have a video editor running somewhere in there too.

I was planning to monitor pagefile usage for a few days anyway to see for sure. Preformance seems ok, it's just that it's not working like the article said it would.

9. Carey934

Carey934

Windows XP's default page file is actually what is recommended the best setting over time. Setting a page file to 2.5 times system RAM is an old, out-dated Unix thing that really makes no sense with XP.

Think about it, if you have 128MB of ram you would require a larger swap file than someone with 1GB of RAM. Yet, if you think your swap file should be 2.5x the amount of RAM you have, then your swap file will get bigger as you add more RAM, when it should be getting smaller.

Simple logic.

10. Drew7997

Drew7997

WhitPhil is right, I only have 512mb of ram and use the 1.5 on my different HD, if i had a gig and any comp that I've built had a gig I remove the swap file, but first applying it to the Different HD- in the event that Windows decides to make one anyway.

11. dustyvan

dustyvan Thread Starter

Well I monitored pagefile usage for 5 days. My average size is about 686Mb. I'm just guessing but I think my new swapfile is getting some use anyway.

12. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

In this case, :), size is not significant.

What is significant is the rate of paging (traffic to/from the pagefile).

What were using to monitor?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice