1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Painfully slow, "clean" computer, looking for ideas

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sidithicus, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sidithicus

Sidithicus Thread Starter

My windows XP Pro install should be clean, as very rarely do I actually use it. Most everything I do is done inside of VMs.

Earlier today I was watching a video (on the host OS, not in a VM) while running Pidgin and Firefox on Linux in a VM (Using Sun's VirtualBox). I had been having some issues with the VM crashing (what I believed to be related to the minimal amount of ram that I had allocated for it), and it did crash while I was watching this video.

Everything began to stutter, and the computer froze. After rebooting, it is taking upwards of 10 minutes for the Windows boot screen (with blue load bar) to finish, another few minutes for the the CRTL-ALT-DEL to show up, and then a minute or two for me to log in.

Things I have done in an attempt to diagnose this:
    Ran memtest86, two passes with no errors
    pulled individual ram modules out, same thing, regardless of what is pulled
    detached all USB devices
    booted into safe mode

All of these things produced no results.

I booted off of a Slax (linux live) cd, and the system was running considerably better than XP was, with no noticeable effects of this issue.

This install of windows is fairly new, It was built about a week and a half ago using nLite to integrate graphics, network, and hdd drivers. It has been working flawlessly until this point.

Thanks for any ideas, I'm really looking forward to getting this resolved.

2. happyrck

happyrck

have you run chkdsk /r

3. Sidithicus

chkdsk ran overnight, and my computer is still behaving as it was previously.

Thanks for the idea

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Are you up to date with windows updates ?

5. happyrck

happyrck

your hard drive may have reverted to PIO mode...Check and Set DMA Mode

To view the DMA mode used by your drives, you need to open the Device Manager ,,,in the Control Panel .... System select the Hardware tab and press the Device Manager button)..and view the properties of the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Double-click on the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers entry to expand it, the right-click on the Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel entries (one at a time) and select Properties from the menu.

Now select the Advanced Settings tab. The Current Transfer Mode will be listed. To change, click the selection arrow on the Transfer Mode drop-down box...

6. Sidithicus

I am up to date, Image was built with SP3, and then auto updated.

As for DMA, i'm not really sure that that applies, as I have 4 SATA drives, and nvraid

7. happyrck

happyrck

did you set up raid...or just install to 1 of the drives

8. Sidithicus

It's set up with raid 0 across all 4 drives

9. happyrck

happyrck

I would try reinstalling the raid controller and chipset drivers

10. Sidithicus

Drivers reinstalled, no effect.

Out of curiosity, what makes you believe that it is a HDD controller issue?

11. happyrck

happyrck

you have raid 0...should be real fast...it is loading at a PIO 1 or 2 rate...makes me think its the raid controllor

12. srhoades

srhoades

One of the drives could be developing bad sectors which would slow down the entire array.

13. Sidithicus

I'm not getting any warnings on boot, and nothing came up with chkdsk, I did however forget to mention that its actually running at ~%100 CPU usage constantly after boot with taskmanager and explorer taking up pretty much all of it. (more of a new discovery, as it takes a good deal of time to actually get all of that started.

Some more information - software installed:
    Call of Duty 4
    Xfire
    Steam
    VirtualBox
    Nortel NetDirect
    Daemon Tools Pro
    Quake 4
    VLC
    Acronis True Image Home

I would have attempted reinstalling windows by now, but I'm in the process of unpacking from a move, and I'm having trouble finding my install CDs

14. happyrck

happyrck

what are your system specs...
    go here and get HDTUNE...run the tests and give us the results

15. Sidithicus

AMD Athlon 3800 X2 (2.0 Ghz)
    2GB Ram
    4x250GB WD SATA drives nvraid, raid0
    ASUS A8N-SLI
    nVidia 8800GTS
    XP Pro

looking in event viewer, over the past few days I've actually gotten a handful of Disk errors, along the lines of "The driver deteced a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/744439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice