XP Partition size

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

br967

I've been looking around on the web for the ideal XP parition size and I've gotten a lot of mixed signals. I just reinstalled XP today and I've setup 3 partions (XP - 8GB, Apps - 16 GB, Data - 32 GB). Now my system is completely back to normal and I have 3.09 GB left on my XP parition. Is 3.09 GB enough? I don't plan on reinstalling for awhile and I'm installing all my apps on the 16 GB parition. I can't really see updates/services packs taking up 3.09GB. What are your opinions on this?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I partition with about 20gigs for my boot partition, because I install all the applications there. Since if you have to restore or rebuild Windows, you have to also restore the matching applications, it's pointless to separate them. I keep all my data in a separate partition so it's easy to backup.

br967

That's what I normally to do but I've been wanting to separate them for awhile now and I've actually noticed a little bit a a performance boost on my system, but that could all be in my head.

Willy Duitt

Banned
I run XP PRO off a 5 gig partion to make it easier to make backup copies using xCopy and I haven't had any problems... However, I too install my program files on another partition so that I do not need to reinstall those when I do a clean install of the OS (just need to insure the volume label remains the same and that you have backups of the registry and programs shortcuts)...

8 gigs should be more than enough - the only problem I have run into with my setup is downloading large files which are often temporarily stored in the Temporary Internet Files Folder until the download is complete and have run out of disk space at times... But to get around that I just moved my TIF to another larger partition - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=172949

FWIW: I also moved my page file and recycle bin to the other partition along with the TIF... This frees up a bunch of space on the OS partition as well as helps prevent defragmenting of the OS partition with all these temporary files being constantly written and removed...

.....Willy

Even though I try to keep my programs on a separate partition, there are a lot of programs that will install some portion of them on the C: drive.

Common ones are the C:\windows\system32 or C:\program files directories, some under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data as well as the Windows Updates backups and system restore points. A smaller partition takes a bit more work to keep track of to make sure you don't run low. And don't forget the My Documents folder defaults to C: also.

I like to move My Documents and Favorites (although this last one usually doesn't get too large) to a different partition as well. This way it doesn't become part of a problem.

For that reason you might want to consider something a little larger that 5-8 gigs. I usually just create one that's fairly large like johnwill uses. But since it's already done, you might realize the many areas that can cause it to fill up and be watchful.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online