1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Password Screen - but no password works!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Greiffel, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

Hi,

A few days ago I tried to update my families pc to SP2 so I could get all the updates etc... It seemed to install alright, but then when starting up it gave me some drwatson.exe error which ended up freezing the pc.

So I did what I thought was safest at the time and that was to go back to a restore point and then maybe try reinstall SP2. BUT, after restoring, windows suddenly showed the password/log on screens.

I now can't log on as Administrator OR Guest. Nothing works. I've tried EVERY possible password that I could have used in the passed, but nothing works. So now I can't get into the pc at all. I've tried booting up in safe mode and logging in as administrator with a blank password, but that doesn't even work.

The password hint box doesn't come up either.

I've read a lot about it online, and it seems the only solution would be to reinstall XP. But would that work as a format and erase some of my files and/or settings? Or would it just be like an upgrade?

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. We're getting desperate!

thanks so much

Grant

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

There are ways to break the password, however I am unsure on Techguy's rules for giving this info out as it can be used maliciously.

If a mod says we cannot give you the info, the only other option is to re-install really.

3. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

I take it you have tried administrator with a blank password.

4. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

yep, tried with blank admin password.

okay, so maybe we'll wait to see if they allow you to tell me how? thanks

5. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Admins/Mods are we allowed to give this info out?

6. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

Doesn't seem like anyone is paying attention to my post...
    Can you mail/private message me maybe?
    much appreciated man

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice