1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP powerdown/reset problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Skywarp, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywarp

Skywarp Thread Starter

I'm using Windows XP Pro. When I click start, click turn off computer and then click restart or shutdown the computer won't do either. The shutdown screen just disappears and the cursor will turn into an hourglass for a quick second. The computer stays on as if I never did the above. I have to hold down my power button and do an improper shutdown for it to shut off or hit the reset button. I've updated to the lastest BIOS. I've done a windows update to see if there was a patch fix for that. I'm using an ABIT KD7 motherboard.
    If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

OH BTW I tried switch user and that does take me to the login screen. Then I can click Turn off Computer on the lower left. It works that way.
    Thanx

2. Nothingface

Nothingface

It might be a program that is preventing you from shutting down. Try going to start,run, type in 'msconfig', press enter. click the startup tab, and uncheck everything in there except systray and explorer (if they are listed, i don't think they are). restart your computer. then try shutting down. if the problem doesn't occur after that, then it was a startup program causing it. If it doesn't happen, then it most likely is caused by something else, perhaps you may need to repair your windows installation. In this case, go back into msconfig and re-check everything. Then boot up using your windows xp cd, and choose repair installation. Hopefully that will do it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!