1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro and workgroups

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by robertsonje, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertsonje

robertsonje Thread Starter

I have 5 computers in a workgroup all part of a local network. When adding users the shortcuts or networked drives do not show up on other users desktops. Do I really have to setup these network shares for each user?

Is there any way to get rid of the pictures for the users or is that only with domains?
    Thanks.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Welcome to TSG!!

I'm not completely certain I understand your question. You need to set up sharing on each PC and each user will need permission to access the share. Then you will need to map network drives, as required.

If you want to remove the pictures, you can modify the Registry to require the user to press Ctrl-Alt-Del and then enter a username and password. You do not need to be in a Domain for this.

3. robertsonje

robertsonje Thread Starter

GrZi3 - Thanks for the reply, I did not realize that this was going to be the headache that it is. So I have 30 users on the network and I have to go to each user and set up the network and the share on each desktop for those users.

I thought I had a work around by just making one generic user and setting that one up for the shared public folders, however I made a members folders for people to store their personal documents into a folder made for them. However, XP will not let me password protect a folder or document that is shared on a network. If I had a domain no problem.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to answer, I think next year we will look at getting an actual server and setting up a domain and trash all of this workgroup stuff.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice