XP Pro, AOL and the sad modem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Flashback

We're only guessing that this is a operating system problem and not a modem problem. In any regard here is what's happening. We're running Windows XP Professional on a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz computer. Everything was working great. Last month we temporarily switched to AOL as our ISP. Everything was still working great. We decided not to keep using the AOL's service and called our old ISP ahead of time to set us back up, which they did. However when we went to use their service the modem would log-on and then 30 seconds later - log off :(

We know it's not the new ISP service because it works fine on the other computers. We did not install AOL on the other computers (do you see a pattern here?). We uninstalled the modem and reinstalled it, thinking that maybe somehow the drivers got messed up, but that didn't help. We played with the port speed, but that didn't help either. We ran virus and spyware tests but that didn't help. We then went into the registry and removed everything that had AOL associated with it, but that didn't help either :( So we went out and bought a new top of the line modem, installed it, but it does the same thing, it logs on and then in 30-40 seconds later it logs off again.

We're at our wits end on what to do. Any help or ideas on fixing this would be greatly appreciated :eek:

You can try and reset your Winsock in XP and see if this fixes your problem. AOL adds their own branded Winsoc and sometimes you can't get another dialup to work. Open a Command Prompt (CMD) in XP and type: netsh winsock reset and press enter. Close the CMD and reboot. Try your dialup.

To access CMD: Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt

Flashback

Thanks Emtronics :) We tried this but it said "The following command was not found: winsock reset".

I think it's because when the command prompt opened it opened at C:\Documents and settings\username\ . We tried to reset it to C:\ but dos commands don't seem to work, or we are using the wrong one (we tried 'cd' for change directory). Are we doing this correctly?

Hmmm, It applies to XP SP2 and you must be logged on as the ADMIN. Have you tried to do it from the Safe Mode? (note: there is a SPACE between each word)

Safe Mode: Tap the F8 Key while computer is booting (Posting). You should reach a menu, tab or arrow to the Safe Mode and press Enter. Log in as the ADMIN. Run the CMD and try it there. Simply restart to return to Normal Windows.

Also, if you have and XP Pro CD (not a Recovery CD) you can run SFC and see if this repairs any System file, if needed.

Start/Run and type: sfc /scannow and then OK (a SPACE between sfc and /scannow)

Also, I am assuming you have an up to date antivirus installed and running. There is a trojan out that will cause your dialup to disconnect....

Flashback

Emtronics said:
Hmmm, It applies to XP SP2
This does not have SP2, is that going to be a problem? :confused:

Have you tried to do it from the Safe Mode? (note: there is a SPACE between each word)
I will try that now.

you can run SFC and see if this repairs any System file, if needed.
OK we will try this next :)

Flashback

Emtronics said:
Have you tried to do it from the Safe Mode?
Yes. It made no differance. It gave the same error.

Also, if you have and XP Pro CD (not a Recovery CD) you can run SFC and see if this repairs any System file, if needed.
Ran sfc and it didn't do anything. I'm assuming that's a good thing. It just loaded while the CD was running and when it got to the end it just went away.

Also, I am assuming you have an up to date antivirus installed and running. There is a trojan out that will cause your dialup to disconnect....
I didn't know this. I will look into it. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online