xp pro contunually restarts during boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

buddyclm

I have a computer running Windows XP Pro. When the boot process gets to the Windows splash screen it can barely be seen and then the computer restarts. I have changed power supplies and RAM and no change. I put in the Windows XP Pro cd and did a repair install, as long as the cd is in the drive, Windows will boot fine. but when I take the cd out, it starts resetting itself during boot. It is also the same way if I run chkdsk /r. I have also ran fixmbr and bootfix with no changes. Then when it let me into Windows using the above method, I turned off the restart on error. I reset the computer and got the following BSOD

file xtmqseqs.sys

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_area

0x00000050 (0xf6fdcfff, 0x00000001, 0xff285775, 0x00000000)

xtmqseqs.sys - address f7285775 base at f7212000, Datestamp 00000000

Can someone please help me get the computer back up and going?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The XP CD is of course also a boot disc, but loads only a minimal set of drivers.
The error of Page Fault etc is normally caused by ram (which we can discount as you have replaced it) OR a faulty piece of Hardware or Driver.
As it works OK with the minimal set of drivers, we can presume that it is a driver.
Boot from the CD.
Go to Control Panel, Hardware, Device Manager and check any warnings on Hardware drivers.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I am signing off. Back about 1800hrs.
Also check ALL HARDWARE, ie Graphics card, Sound card, LAN, etc ALL properly seated.
Also, check that your RAM is shown in System Information, just in case.

First Name
Jim
That issue of restarts can be caused by malware such as a virus or worm, so run a complete virus scan. Even with new RAM memory, it can still have either a faulty module, or it may not be the correct type of memory. So you should run a memory test which can be done by booting to a CD with a tester on it such as this one; http://www.memtest86.com/ , or this site here also http://www.memtest.org/ , and here; http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp . It can help to search for that specific file that is shown in your stop code error; so this file; xtmqseqs.sys such as from booted into the safe mode. Microsoft knowledge base site has lots of help to search for too.

antech

Banned
Try runnin a full scan with SAS and Malware Bytes.

Follow the below instructions Carefully:
1. Download HiJackThis from the link in my signature
2. Run a Scan.
3. Save a Logfile(On your Desktop)
4. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.
(Fixing Anything Might cause Unwanted System Instability,BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)
5.Copy and Paste all the contents
6. Paste them in the reply Window

JennyJackson01

Account Closed
Hiya buddyclm.

With all the techy info in the previous replies, I feel like I might be wrong but I`ll make a suggestion it anyway.

It sounds very much like the graphics card and/or driver. Have you tried using another one or taking the card out completely and running it using the onboard VGA socket if you have one? If you can`t (or don`t want to) go down that route, boot into safe mode (however you can) and uninstall the graphics driver and everything associated with it such as CCC with Ati.

While you`re in there, turn off system restore and page filing and take the tick away from `Automatically Restart` in System Props / Advanced / Startup & Recovery. Reboot and make a clean install of the up-to-date driver relevant to your card.

I`ve known problems occur when someone just installs a newer driver without uninstalling the previous one or, heaven forbid, gets all excited and installs an nVidia over an old Ati and vice versa.

Jenny

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online