1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro - DOS network

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ciobair, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ciobair

ciobair Thread Starter

Is there any reason why a program running on XP Pro would not be able to send a file to a drive on a (very old) DOS network?
    Regards,
    Ciobair

2. scmazter

scmazter

Umm, not sure what u mean by a DOS network err, but I guess that's my problem.

What I know is, unlike every other verison of windows, XP doesnt have a pure DOS environment, meaning that DOS programs cant run on XP propertly, if at all.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As long as you have TCP/IP correctly configured, that shouldn't be problem. Haven't made a DOS network in quite a while but didn't have problems with NT server and DOS workstations. Just remember the WFW days. That was all pretty much DOS based.

Now things like long file names might be an issue. And I'm not exactly sure about what program is trying to access the DOS computer. But just file copying should work.

4. ciobair

ciobair Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply which confirms what I had hoped.
    I tried peer to peer networking between the XP computer and one running WIN98 as I was concerned about FAT and NTFS issues, but there was no problem.
    In the past, I have run a Novell network on WFW and WIN95 so I think it should be OK on WIN98.
    Regards,
    Ciobair

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As long as you have the DOS network properly configured, there shouldn't be an issue networking to shared resources on the DOS machine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice