1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro email attachments

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jackpan, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

Hope I'm posting this thread in the correct section. I have a laptop with XP Pro installed using IE 6.0. My problem is receiving email attachments, not sending them. I have never encountered this problem when using Win98SE or Windows 2000. Nearly every attachment I receive, the file type is listed as unknown. At first I though it was Outlook Express. What I did to test this was go to mail2web and retrieve the attachment without going through Outlook Express. Same problem - file type unknown. At this point I could safely eliminate OE as being the problem. After a little more digging I came across a website that said the problem could be a MIME error associated with XP Pro. At his point I am totally lost.
    Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You need to have a program "associated" with each file type, or the "unknown" issue will arise, irrespective of what email client you use.

If you advise what the attachment file names are it would help, the last 3 characters (the file extension, after the ".") determine what program will open the file. If you have no association existing between the program and the file it will always be "unknown".

As an example, a Word document with a ".doc" extension is opened by Word, ".xls" by Excel, ".pdf" by Adobe Reader, ".jpg" by whatever image viewer you have installed and so-on.

Sometimes the association is lost however and you need to re-establish this, so advising of the file type would help.

In Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - File Types
    you can set the associations.

3. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

That's the problem - I don't know. When I go to open the attachment a dialog box appears saying, "File Type Unknown". The file extension is .unk for the attachment. If I knew the file extension I could fix it.

4. rabgary

rabgary

5. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

I was able to change the file extension. After viewing the attachment in notepad the file extension was .wmv. I tried playing the attachment with media player 9 and it would not play. Error message invalid file format.

While still using notepad this line appeared, "This is a multi-part message in MIME format." Could this be an explorer issue? Thanks.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Mime format is the usual method of attaching files to email.

If you are receiving attachments in an email, you should know the soruce of the email.
    Ask the sender what the attachment actually was in that case.

Unless you know the origin, you are also acting in an unsafe manner opening any attachment. You never know what the attachment might be, assuming it is friendly is not a good idea, it could be something that will infect the PC!

7. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

I only open emails from people or companies I am familiar with. All others are deleted. I checked with the person who sent the attachments and was told there were three types very small in size: .wav, .mp3, and .wmv. I just don't get it. Thanks.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you sure they're not Lnk files? If so, those are links, not actual files. There's nothing to open. I don't see this as an operating system issue. You should be able to save the file locally to your hard drive and then view the 3 letter extension. If you can't see the extension, you need to show them by going into Folder Options.

9. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

The file extension is definitely .unk. I copied the attachment to my desktop and tried opening with media player, explorer, irfanview and everything else I have installed. Nothing works. Thanks for responding.

10. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

It appears this problem is coming from only one sender. If this is the case I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks for your help. We can now close this thread.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice