XP pro external hard drive type?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jct883

I am using an older computer with an I D E hard drive . What type external adapter should I use for a external hard drive. I see SATA units listed but being a newbie I'm not sure what to use. I am guessing the newer computers use SATA.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
See Here for IDE ..
And Here for IDE or SATA

I might get one like This so I could adapt to either.

If you're just looking for an adapter and not an enclosure ... See Here
I have one of These and it's come in handy on occasions .. When it's not been loaned out :D

jct883

Thank you for your help. This is what I'm talking about. Don't know much about them. Someone said it was a good way to backup my computer.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That one's for a SATA HDD .. not IDE.
Using Imaging .. You can backup to any External HDD.
Imagining can backup the operating system.

Using a IDE external HDD (or adapter) .. You could have a functional backup hard drive in the external enclosure .. (cloned)

What's the Make n Model of your computer ???
And how many gigs occupied is your C drive ???

jct883

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 40.01 GB 19.05 GB freeCompaq Evo D510 SFF
Hope this is what you ask for.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You can Copy n Paste (or Drag n Drop) your Data to an any external HDD for backup.
You can also Image the operating system to a data file in any external HDD.
Then this image Data file can be used to rewrite your HDD, or build a new one.

I'd suggest to get an external HDD, and Image your system ... Then add any new Data backups.
Then you might want to get a new IDE HDD .. and recover it from the Image data file.

You'll never know or understand the entire backup/recovery procedure until you've used an Image to recover a HDD or Build a new one.
An Image Data file is compressed and will be about 60-70% of the occupied space in the HDD or partition that you're imaging.
looks like about 14gig in your case.

I use Acronis .. and have imaged and recovered a spare SSD HDD today.
I wasn't sure if this HDD had been attacked or not.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Any USB external drive will work as long as you have USB interface.

I have found that the enclosures plus the drives are more expensive than the ones already built.
I now have about 6 different sizes ranging from 500 Megs to 2 TB's.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have found that the enclosures plus the drives are more expensive than the ones already built
This is true, But you get what you pay for.
An enclosure plus a HDD of your choice gives you the chance to get a good HDD and replace it if needed.
You don't know what comes in pre-assembled external HDDs and you can't get to the HDD without voiding the warranty.

If the enclosure goes bad, you can change the enclosure and not loose all the data in the HDD.
I always get the WD Black series HDDs with a 5 year warranty
Just yesterday, I had to send a HDD back for replacement when a sector went bad after a little over 4 years.
Not sure if you can buy pre-assembled external HDDs with a 5 year warranty.

Any Data you don’t care about is data you only have one copy of.
I always get (build) twins.

Build an external yourself, it only takes about 10-20 minutes and you won't get stuck with any manufacturer proprietary junk like you sometimes get with factory built units. Normally, all it takes is a screwdriver to assemble an external.

I've been using Acronis for years and in my opinion it is the best imaging software on the market.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online