1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro freezes at Windows screen even in safe won't start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nmk, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nmk

nmk Thread Starter

Installed Windows XPPro SP2 on clean HD -Almost always freezes when Windows screen comes on-little dashes start then stop abruptly. Also can not get to start in safe mode. When do get past the screen (rarely) everything runs normally. an all kinds of checks on file with Tune Up utilities ,scandisc, antivirus ,antispyware. Flashed BIOS . In different computer , the drive get to F1 but loops around and asks for another F1 prompt. When boot from XPPro CD it loads files but then freezes at the "starting windows screen. Can't reinstall XPPro cuz when boot from it get message that it is earlier version than that installed (I assume because SP2 is on the existing Drive .

Please help. Thanks.

2. cybernia_nyc

cybernia_nyc

What peripherals do you have attached to your machine? USB, printer, etc. You might try unplugging all attached devices, reboot and see what happens. Then, if it boots up okay, re-attach each one, one at a time and reboot each time

3. nmk

nmk Thread Starter

Thank You so much . I can't believe it was that easy. I spent the last 5 nights reading and trying different complicated solutions. I had disconnected peripherals but had forgotten my CDROM. My wife was about to kick me out. BTW , now that I know the problem is a CD Drive , how can I get it to function again? Reinstall the drivers?

Thanks again.

4. cybernia_nyc

cybernia_nyc

Is the CDROM internal or external? If it's external, trying replacing the cable. If it's internal reinstall the drivers and if neither of those work, new drive time.

5. nmk

nmk Thread Starter

Thanks I think I need a new drive but that is a lot better than a new motherboard. Again your help most appreciated.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/526480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice