1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro freezes constantly.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TQUAD1951, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TQUAD1951

TQUAD1951 Thread Starter

Assistance needed badly,
    My computer is freezing constantly in both normal and safe mode. It usually freezes when online, but not all the time. It will freeze off line in both modes. Unfortunately, I never get any error messages and my Event Viewer only reads Event ID 51, Disk, (error detected on hard disk) or Event ID 7026, Service Control Manager, (system start drivers failed to load). I've run Malwarebytes with no results. I also run CCleaner regularly, Wise Registry Cleaner, Eset, Spybot S&D, Avast and several others. When I try to run SuperAntiSpyyware it freezes after 6-9 minutes every time. It freezes at unpredictable times in almost all other cases. Typically it will freeze between 15 to 20 times per day, especially when I'm online. It has been in for service to a very reputable repair facility four times. After initially replacing my video card it runs fine in the shop, sometimes for up to two days or more. Upon returning to my residence it usually freezes in less than one hour, sometimes 20 minutes or less. I'm running XP Pro SP3 with the following hardware: ASUS A8V-VM SE Motherboard, 2Gig New Kingston DDR 400 SDRAM, New Seagate 2Terabyte Green HD, New Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS 512mb Video Card, New 2 Lite On DVDR/CDR Drives, 1 Lite On CDR Drive, New Ralink RT73 USB WiFi Adapter, Behringer UCA 202 USB Audio Adapter, New 2 Seagate FreeAgent USB HD's, New Logitech K350 USB Keyboard, Kensington USB Expert Mouse Pro Trackball, New LGR 510 Purple Octopus USB 4 Port Hub, and 1 SYBA (or equivalent) 4 Port Hub Adapter. Additional Software is Firefox 3.5.16, Shadow Defender, IE8, Nero 8 & 9, Office 2003, Adobe Reader 10, Adobe Audition 1.5, WMP 11, VLC Media Player and many many more. I have both HiJack This 2.0 and DDS Current version available. Any suggestions as to what is causing this problem and how to cure it will be greatly appreciated. It is driving me nuts. Thank you very much for your time and advice.
    tquad1951

2. Sponsor

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try a chkdsk /r.

By the way, you seem to be running two antivirus applications on that computer, Avast! and ESET. Never install more than one antivirus on a computer. If you decide to remove one, I'd uninstall Avast! with the Avast! Uninstall Utility.

And, stay away from registry cleaners. They are nothing but trouble.

Why I don’t use registry cleaners

Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

You should also delete your e-mail addresses if you do not want to get spammed to death! Never post e-mail addresses on an open forum like this.

How do Spammers Harvest Email Addresses

Seems like you volunteered to receive spam?

4. TQUAD1951

TQUAD1951 Thread Starter

Phantom010,
    Thanks for the advice. I've done chkdsk on 'C' drive and it's fine. I've also run it on every drive I use. Read the article about registry cleaners. What about CCleaner? Are you saying that all the little fragments building up or left behind through daily use never do anything, like slow down performance? I'm curious because my service shop uses them to get rid of all the 'useless junk' as they call it. Also I only use Eset once in a while, the main anti virus program I keep running is Avast. Is Eset significantly better than Avast in your opinion? Again, thanks for the reply/advice. Too bad I've still got the freezing problem.
    tquad1951

5. Phantom010

It's a good program as long as you don't use the registry cleaner.

Leaving the registry as it is doesn't affect performance in any way. Getting rid of useless temp files (with CCleaner) can help though.

If he messes with registry cleaners, I would stay away from that kind of tech... :eek:

Yes, ESET is significantly superior. I would get rid of Avast! without hesitation. As I said, never install more than one antivirus on a computer. It's not optional. They will fight each other, make your computer freeze and even make it more vulnerable to malware.

6. TQUAD1951

TQUAD1951 Thread Starter

Phantom010,
    Thanks again for all the great advice. My tech is a graduate of MIT and says he agrees with you and that a lot of what he selectively removes are things like unused or missing file extensions and unnecessary duplicate file paths, otherwise he doesn't remove much else unless it's remnants of an uninstalled program. He hasn't screwed up anything so far and I doubt he will. Is there anything specific you can point out as to why Eset is so much better than Avast? Also, what about AVG 2011, is that also inferior to Eset? I'm considering purchasing the 'Pro or Full' version of one of them if it's worth it, or are the free versions adequate for XP Pro SP3? Any last ideas for my freezing problem? Again thanks for all the great advice.
    tquad1951

7. Phantom010

Why would you want to get rid of ESET's NOD32? Didn't you pay for the program? Is your subscription coming to an end?

AVG has been nothing but trouble lately. It's not recommended on this forum anymore. The most recommended free antivirus these days, on this forum, is Microsoft Security Essentials. Avira Antivir is another good free one.

I've been using NOD32 for years and have never had any problems with it. It's really fast to scan your computer and I find it uses very little system resources. ESET's heuristics and advanced heuristics are among the most effective on the market.

8. TQUAD1951

TQUAD1951 Thread Starter

Phantom010,
    I woulld love to keep Eset vs the others. No I did not pay for Eset yet. The trial period must be coming to an end but I haven't been given any notice as to how many days are left. Its $60.00 price tag is a little steep for me due to being a 'Quadriplegic' and living in a nursing facility. (That's what the 'quad' stands for in my screen name). My monthly budget is a lot less than the Eset price. Do you have to renew it every year? The tech who helps me with my computer also said AVG 2011 wasn't too good and would probably cause me problems. That's why I went with the free version of Avast for now.
    tquad1951

9. Phantom010

10. TQUAD1951

TQUAD1951 Thread Starter

People,(y)
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. They were very helpful. As it turns out, the individual who originally built my computer made several serious mistakes setting up the operating system. One of the biggest was there were two 'My Documents' on the 'C' drive. One I was aware of, the other I was not. Each time I tried to access a file or folder in 'My Documents' the computer did not know which one to go to. Sometimes I would get lucky and it would go to the one that contained the last folder I was using but too many times it just froze. There were also several other installation errors that added to the problem. In the end I wiped the 'C' drive and did a clean reinstall of XP Pro and the system has been working great ever since. The 'Freezing Problem' is cured. Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions. They were really appreciated.
    TQUAD1951

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!