1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro Freezing Constantly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sidney Lu, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sidney Lu

Sidney Lu Thread Starter

I have a 1.60 GHz pentium with 256 MB of ram, running XP Pro 2002 Service Pack 2. I would say this system is 4 or 5 years old now.

I took my computer in for service the first part of June, had the hard drive wiped clean and a clean install of the XP Pro. Last week it just started going haywire. The screen would go black and it would freeze (mouse and keyboard--no Ctl-Alt-Del). I took it in to the shop last Thursday, and they removed an internet filtering program that I had downloaded. That helped quite a bit, but it still freezes on me. Sometimes I can work for 4 hours, sometimes 5 minutes before it freezes. I could not even work on it today, it froze constantly. I also replaced the mouse because the driver was old and the problem seemed possibly to be mouse related. That also did not help the problem--in fact, I think the old mouse worked better. I have run Scan Disk several times, Spybot, AVG, and CCleaner. No viruses detected. The whole system seems to be running slower than usual, too. I do notice some graphics involvement when it freezes--the mouse will be cut in half or there will be a little vertical line.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to check.

Download and run memtest86 it runs from a bootable floppy or cd. There is no need for an os to even be installed.

Check for overheating; pull the side cover and place a small desk type fan blowing air into the case. See if it stops freezing.

Boot into safe mode and see if the system will freeze in safe mode. This will tell you if it is software or hardware related.

3. Sidney Lu

Sidney Lu Thread Starter

I will run the memtest. I has never frozen while in safe mode. Does that mean it is a software problem? And I forgot to mention that they did replace a fan last week. That might have been part of the reason the screen was going black.

I will let you know what happens with the memtest. Just got off the website--looks a little daunting for a beginner like myself!

THANKS! :)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it runs ok in safe mode for a few hours, it is probably a software / driver issue. I like to stress the system in safe mode by running an app like prime95 [available for download from many sites] This will stress the system in safe mode and show any problems.

5. TechnutJay

TechnutJay

Do a Msconfig clean up, something is starting up that is causing a conflick somewhere.

http://www.get-in-control.com/msconfig-cleanup/msconfig-cleanup-setup.exe

It's sounds more like a virus and bugs all around your PC I would do a cleaning up.
    http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

If you post a start up list I can see better and tell you
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

6. sy2

sy2

It'd also be a good idea to look around for dust in the fans if you're going to open the computer, although I would assume that the shop you took it to would have done that.

Also run a defrag on the harddrive (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter). This process can take awhile if you haven't run the program in awhile, so it may be a good idea to turn it on at night before you go to bed and just let it run overnight.

Also note that memtest86 takes quite some time to run, so don't start it up if you have things to do on the computer.

If none of this seems to be working, you can also post a Hijack This log here so we can take a look at what's being loaded up when you start Windows. (y)

7. Sidney Lu

Sidney Lu Thread Starter

No easy task (my computer froze several times during installation and run), but here is my HiJack this:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 8:41:37 AM, on 8/3/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Advanced Computer
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: PCANotify - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\PCANotify.dll
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: pcAnywhere Host Service (awhost32) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\awhost32.exe
    O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone (Pctspk) - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

I also ran the msconfig cleanup, but it still froze after that. It did remove a few things, however.

8. sy2

sy2

You can fix these entries:

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE

None of those need to run when the computer boots up, unless you really use them a lot - in which case it still doesn't make much of a difference having them load at startup.

9. sy2

sy2

Did a google and this turned up as a trojan, as well, so fix this line:

O20 - Winlogon Notify: PCANotify - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\PCANotify.dll

Reboot into safe mode (tap F8 at the first black screen on reboot) and delete this file:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\PCANotify.dll

Reboot into normal mode and post a new HJT log.

10. Sidney Lu

Sidney Lu Thread Starter

I can take care of the trojan entry in safe mode and run another HJT, but how does one fix entries on the HJT? Please note my experience level. :D

Edited to add: I did try to remove the PCANotify.dll in safe mode, but it will not let me (access is denied). I notice that this file is also on a second home computer. Both computers have PcAnywhere on them. Are you sure it is not part of the program?

11. sy2

sy2

12. Sidney Lu

Sidney Lu Thread Starter

Okay--

I have run MSConfig. I installed and ran Adaware and HJT. I ran defrag in Safe Mode. I removed those items from the HJT list. And still, it freezes.

I had a Palm Zire program installed on my computer which I removed in normal mode, but when I am in Safe Mode, I notice all the files are still on my computer! Also, I do not have the screen saver set in normal mode, but it runs in Safe Mode. Is this normal?

So, where do I go from here? :confused:

13. TechnutJay

TechnutJay

Goto the control panel and users and see if anyone else is using the computer.

Also try this, goto the run box by clicking start bar and type in Msconfig and click the start up tab on top there, on the bottom click disable all, don't worry it wouldn't be an option if it would hurt, Let see if it's a start up file and go from there and go back and check the one's you know you want to start up with the computer.

14. Sidney Lu

Sidney Lu Thread Starter

I am the only user listed. Guest user was turned off. I did the msconfig thing, but I got a message at startup which took me back in to enable everything again. I canceled out, but it froze pretty quickly thereafter.

If the system freezes while I am moving my mouse, I will have 2 or 3 pointers on the screen. I am also noticing little lines here and there. I wonder if there is a problem with my video card. Something I did notice when I was checking the drivers was that there was an unsigned one under my NVIDIA display and also my keyboard named aw_host5.sys, which is from Symantec.

Also, I uninstalled my palm software and real player as my tech thought there might be some conflict there, but if I search under "palm" it shows all these files still in the program files. However, when I go to uninstall, Palm and Real Player are not listed anymore.

15. Sidney Lu

Sidney Lu Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your help. Looks like we're going into the shop. It is beginning to sound like a hardware problem. :(

I will let you know what happens.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!