1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro Hanging during Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by peterinwa, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peterinwa

peterinwa Thread Starter

A friend just gave me a PC which was working well till he transported it half way across the US in his car. Starting up it hangs with the blue background with the bar which repeatedly fills up with dots. It hangs just at the point he remembers it switched to the desktop background.

I assume its a hardware problem caused during the move.

But I'm posting to ask if it could possibly be caused by the fact that I'm using my very old 1996 mouse. It also hangs when we don't even have the mouse plugged in, so it seems logical to me that the problem has nothing to do with the mouse.

He suspects it could be the mouse, however, and wants to buy a new one to see if it solves the problem.

Thanks for any ideas, Peter

2. imwithstupid

imwithstupid

The mouse isnt your problem, but they are cheap so let him buy one to ease his suffering..(lets you say I told ya so too)

The move might have loosened something inside of the computer, so hardware problem could be true. It could also be the battery (CMOS) That is another cheap fix.

Can you get into safe mode windows? If you can it is most likely a driver or a hardware problem.

Still in safe mode, click start then run and type msconfig and click ok
    Click the diagnostictartup button and restart your computer to see if it starts.

If you cant load windows, restart in safe mode with networking Download, install, update and run:
    Spybot
    AdAware 6 Standard

Fix all that they find.

Then download, install and run (it is best to extract or Install this program to its own folder, either on your desktop or in your documents) HijackThis
    Dont fix anything yet Save a logfile, post it back here and we will have a look at it.

3. peterinwa

peterinwa Thread Starter

Thanks imwithstupid,

Following your instructions I used the mouse to select a user so it's not the mouse.

I ran msconfig in safe mode; clicked on Diagnostic Startup - load basic devices and services only; OK and Restart. It did the same thing.

It stops with three or so green dots in the bar; sits for awhile; then the dark blue background slightly flashes (the point where my friend says it should go to the desktop background) then continues to hang.

I didn't go on with your "If you can't load windows..." since it did.

Any other ideas? Just playing around... seeing that Excel and Word work fine and that in general in safe mode it really is functioning, it doesn't seem likely to my little mind that it is a hardware failure. I'm thinking configuration.

Thanks again, Peter

4. peterinwa

peterinwa Thread Starter

One more thing in case it helps...

After pressing the Reset button within seconds it stops at the screen:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused...

5. dai

dai

check the cable connections are all secure one may have worked loose during transport

6. peterinwa

peterinwa Thread Starter

Thanks. Inside the computer there are many cables not plugged in, but so many couldn't have fallen out so I doubt they were being used. Of course one could have fallen out.

But logically... why if the computer runs fine in safe mode... Excel and such... would it be a hardware problem? I'm wondering if reloading XP might help?

Thanks.

7. dai

dai

if it is starting ok in safe mode,go into msconfig/startup
    untick all of the boxes and reboot
    if it starts normally,retick the boxes one at a time rebooting each time until you find the offending item
    then check for any updates and reinstall it in safe mode

8. peterinwa

peterinwa Thread Starter

Thanks, but there were no boxes checked under startup. Only a couple Remote Procedure Calls under Services which I couldn't turn off.

I just can't get why the PC can run so well in safe mode.

9. Sequal7

Sequal7

Safe Mode is a technical way for Windows to load when there is a system-critical problem that interferes with the normal operation of Windows. The purpose of Safe Mode is to allow you to troubleshoot Windows and try to determine what is causing it to not function correctly. Once you have corrected the problem, then you can reboot and Windows will load normally.

There are several things that happen when Windows boots in Safe Mode that differ from a standard boot:

Safe Mode does not run the autoexec.bat or config.sys files.
    Most device drivers are not loaded. A device driver is the software that Windows uses to interact with a piece of hardware, such as a printer or scanner.
    Instead of the normal graphics device driver, Safe Mode uses standard VGA graphics mode. This mode is supported by all Windows-compatible video cards.
    Himem.sys, which is normally loaded as part of the config.sys script, is loaded with the /testmem:eek:n switch. This switch tells the computer to test the extended memory before continuing.
    Safe Mode checks the msdos.sys file for information on where to find the rest of the Windows files. If it finds the files, it proceeds to load Windows in Safe Mode with the command win /d:m. If it does not find the Windows files, it will run command.com to bring up a C: prompt.
    Windows boots using a batch file called system.cb instead of the standard system.ini file. This file loads the Virtual Device Drivers (VxDs) that Windows uses to communicate with the standard parts of the computer.
    Windows now loads the regular system.ini file plus win.ini and Registry settings. It skips the [Boot] (except for the shell and device lines) and [386Enh] sections of system.ini and does not load or run any programs listed in win.ini.
    The Windows desktop loads up in 16 colors and at a resolution of 640 x 480 with the words "Safe Mode" in each corner.

First, try to determine what has changed on your system that could have caused Windows to fail to boot properly. If you have added any kind of hardware, go to the Control Panel and remove it and uninstall the software driver for that device. Then attempt a reboot. If Windows boots properly, you can be reasonably certain that there was some type of conflict with the device and try to resolve it.

Use this same method if you have loaded a new game or application sometime recently. Go to the Control Panel, click on Add/Remove Programs and remove the software. Try a reboot and hopefully you will get a normal Windows boot.

If the problem is definitely not new hardware or software, then you most likely have a corrupted Registry. In this case, you will quite likely have to perform an over or a new installation of Windows to set things right.

10. peterinwa

peterinwa Thread Starter

Thanks Sequal7, that sure explains safe mode.

What was done is this PC which was working great was moved into my home and won't come up in Windows. All the hardware has changed, and it is now connected to a new mouse, keyboard, monitor and ISP interface cable.

The mouse, keyboard, and monitor work fine in safe mode so I assume they are not the problem. ???

That leaves the interface cable. But it fails to start up in Windows even if I leave that unplugged. Should I try uninstalling the interface hardware and trying to re-start in Windows?

If so, where in the Control Panel do I go to do it?

Thanks, a real novice here (actually old man).

11. Sequal7

Sequal7

I would try removing the NIC (is it adsl or cable?) This could very well be the problem.

Did you install the NIC card or was it onboard ? (built into the motherboard)

Try rebooting to safe mode with networking, and see if actually loads up or not. This sill enable your networking and NIC card to load. If it does not load in safe mode with networking, then you've narrowed it considerably.

The Network Interface is in Control panel, Performance and Maintenance, System, click the hardware tab, device manager look under network adapters.

You can remove it, it will most likely install under the next boot so be prepared to have the disk (xp or independant) ready

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/265258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice