XP Pro - Hangs BEFORE Login

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robnick

Hey all -
I can't find info about this issue anywhere!

I have a Toshiba Tecra 9000 running XP Pro (SP1). The machine boots fine until it gets to the login screen (the "Press CTRL-ALT-Delete to continue" one). At this point, it appears that the system is COMPLETELY frozen. If I hit 'CTRL-ALT-DELETE' nothing will happen ... for about 5 minutes. At that time, the action is finally processed and I'm brought to the username/password entry fields.

Same thing ... I can type my username, then tab, then my password, then return, and the machine won't register it for another 5 minutes. So I type it all out while it looks frozen, then all of a sudden it all just appears/greys out and begins to log me in (which takes up to 10 minutes).

Once it actually starts going to my desktop, the machine runs flawlessly. It runs at normal speed as if nothing is wrong. This whole problem occurs maybe 9 out of 10 times that I need to login. Very rarely, I do not encounter this issue. I have run anti-spyware/anti-virus software and they have both come up empty.

Any help would be appreciated!

How do you connect to the internet? Also is this computer is part of a network? What type of network if any? IS it a domain etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts