1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro Hangs when downloading files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by billbus, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billbus

billbus Thread Starter

Hi Tech Support Guys,

My PC running XP Pro began hanging up a couple of weeks back. After attempting to shut down using Turn Off Computer at the Start button and attempting to shut down the process in Task Manager, I did a hard Reset Iusing the PC's reset switch) of my machine.

Since then, it has been hanging again and again. It will not let me download files, including HijackThis. I can save files if they are zipped or in RAR format.

I've reinstalled and/or repaired XP several times since then. I repaired it this morning and thought I had it. The repair worked better than the reinstall! However, my version of XP Pro is just XP1. I had XP SP2 originally when these problems began, and have downloaded SP2 on one, but not all, of my reinstallations and repairs.

Sometimes, I can't even display the My Computer screen!

If I continue to reset the PC long enough, I eventually get to the point where XP fails to boot. It gives me a missing <Windows root>\system32.\hal.dll message. When this happens, I reinstall XP

My guess is that I'm losing my Windows profile or settings because I'm not waiting for Windows to shut down completely by itself? This is after waiting a minimum of 3 minutes each time after shutting down, if it indeed gets to the shut down screen.

I do have the dreaded Welcome screen which I've been reading a bit about on this and other forums. I've still not figured out a way to get rid of it.

I'm running the Seamonkey browser with download manager. I've tried not using the download manager but this didn't help.

I'm about ready to go purchase a new Vista machine at Circuit City because I've got to get some InDesign documents printed by July 4!

Any ideas why this is all happening? Is there a place I can get HijackThis in a zip or RAR format?

Thanks for your help.

Happy Trails,

Bill B.
    Pittsboro, NC

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice