1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro install from clean HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Col.USMC, Oct 19, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Col.USMC

Col.USMC Guest Thread Starter

I had to kill my hard drive. The problem now is that I can reinstall XP home from the recovery partition, but it has the extra features that I do not want (games, MSN, Etc..). I have an XP Pro disk that has both the new install and update features and I would like to do a new install from it. I have my sys set to boot from the cd-rom but the sys will not install from the XP pro disk I have. The cd-rom will light up and spin seaching and never start to install. I have used an old dos floppy and the sys will not let me access cd-rom ( further known as drive E:) to install XP pro. The reason behind this is to bypass all the "extra goodies" with the factory partition. Help thank you

2. cfoster

cfoster

Try a newer boot disk. You can downlaod one from http://www.bootdisk.com.

I will tell you how I would do it.

I would do a low-level format then boot from the Windows XP disk.

That way it will let you set up the NTFS partition or partitions the way you want them.

You may have a disk that came with the HD to do the low-level format.

If not try FDISK with the boot disk you downloaded and delete the partition with all the junk on it.

Hope this helps.

3. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

I think cfoster has the rite idea, fdisk it and delete the partitions, all of them. Then start with a clean slate. If your drive is formated with NTFS use the delete non dos partition option to get rid of it. Your XP cd should be bootable. If it's not you can download a utility to creat the boot floppy set for XP from microsoft. That is your best option. Another option is to use a 9x bootdisk with cd-rom support. Then run winnt.exe from the i386 folder on the XP cd. If you can also load smartdrv to speed things up.

4. Col.USMC

Giving it a try, I will post back later the results, thank you

5. Col.USMC

Update, boot disks worked. Note: on the website for bootdisks it stated that you could use one disk related to win98 boot, this is not the case for my system as I tried it and The box told me the boot files were out of date in not so many words. Tg Thanks

6. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Glad you got it sorted out. The XP disk set is the best way to do it. I have used a 98se bootdisk to install 2k, but never tried it with XP. If you to run winnt.exe it works, but if you try to run setup.exe windows will complain it can't be installed from DOS.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice