1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Pro Install On New HDD & Chipset Installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by masica, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. masica

masica Thread Starter

Kind of a dumb question maybe, but here goes. I'm going to replace the HDD on my PC and do a new/clean install of XP Pro + SP3. I know the general procedure about setting the BIOS to boot from the CD, letting the install proceed, etc.

So, at what point do/should the motherboard chipset drivers be installed? Doesn't the new HDD have to be partitioned and formatted first and doesn't the XP Pro install procedure do that? Would I have to let the OS be fully installed before installing the chipset drivers?

Please clear this up for me.

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. masica

masica Thread Starter

Okay, thanks for the link. From what I read, after the OS installs and basic device drivers are installed, I install the chipset drivers from my mobo CD or a file I previously downloaded.

Then, I install all the other devices; video card, sound, printer, etc.

Oh, I have a fun weekend ahead of me...

4. Dan O

Dan O

Yes and good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice